Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,752   Posts: 1,515,910   Online: 1107

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Canon Angle Finder "C" : any opinions ?

It's an item I've always thought I'd buy some day, and that may be right now...

There's one offered for a price I find OK (about €150, the last time I checked the new ones were sold over 300) in my local shop.

I did no try it yet, and would be happy to hear about how useful you find it (I already missed some shots due to not being able to get low enough to compose what I wanted) and how comfortable it is.

EDIT : forgot to mention I plan to use it on an EOS3
    Last edited by Laurent; 04-01-2010 at 10:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wish I had one. It'd be great for macro stuff also. Indeed, I'm about to post a thread about waist level finders, I'm curious about any users out there.

I can't believe how expensive these angle finders are though! B&H has one for $179.95 (US)

..... UPDATE ......

Hey, so it turns out my WLF thread touches on some similar ground. I'm curious about these angle finders and their suitability for holding at "waist's length", so to speak. What's the view like & is accurate focusing possible from a distance?
    Last edited by holmburgers; 04-01-2010 at 01:41 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: wanted to add something after the fact

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    OK, I bought it (in fact the wife got it for me, so I've to wait till she gets back home).

Yes, I expect it to be great for macro works. In fact, it's the main reason why I bought it, the second being that my GAS strategy is to buy things I really need. In this case, I know there are several shots I did not do because I could not do the setup as needed, so this tool might help.

I don't think it'll be OK for a WLF though, but I'm eager to see the 1.25 magnification factor.
    Laurent

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    There have been many times when I wished I had one to use for those times the camera was on a tripod and just in an awkward position. Not for macro work, either, but normal landscape or still life stuff. I would definitely like to have one in my camera bag for those 1% of the shots in which I would find it useful.
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    After a few tests, with hand held camera, this is a very useful device, but it is less comfortable than the normal viewfinder.

The quality of view is VERY sensitive to the eye's position and alignment, and the diopter needs to be properly adjusted, but it makes focusing very precise (especially when using the 2.5x magnification).

I confirm it is 100% useless for a WLF substitute.
    Laurent

My APUG Blog

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin