Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,582,988   Online: 1063

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Leica M-4 loading film

I'm supposed to meet somebody next week to get a Leica M-4.
    We talked fews days ago and he said to me that loading film is easy with the M-4 and there is a door and the base plate can be removed.
    After a while, I was thinking that it's not logic to have a door and a base plate removable at the same time. Maybe I didn't understand properly what he said. Any way I'll see next week. What do you know about M-4 loading film? How the M-4 supposed to be?

Regards

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Base plate is removed, back door is hinged along its top edge so opens upwards for film loading. The pressure plate is fixed to the back door. Different but easy enough to get accustomed to.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It's how Leica's work. It's a bit strange, but as unclemack stated, easy once you get used to it (though I wish I had a third hand for the base). Take the base off, pull the leader out a bit, put the film and leader in through the bottom of the camera. You just make sure the end of the leader reaches into the take up spool. Then you flip the back up, and make sure the film is pushed up far enough into the camera, so it's centered on the rails. You can also see that the little teeth on the take up side are engaged in the sprocket holes. Close the back, put the bottom on, and fire off two shots.

Some people recommend folding over the tip of the leader and/or winding a frame on before you close up the back, but I've never needed too. When you shoot off your first blank shot or two, just look for the rewind knob to turn. That's good practice, but again, I've never misloaded a roll.

It really is easier than it sounds. I'm sure there are videos/pics of it on the web.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Thank you very much. It's clear.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    An advance over the III series (and prior) which loads from the bottom as well but has no hinged door on the back to see how the film is situated.
    My Film Cameras:
    Leica M3
    Leica M6
    Mamiya 645AFD
    Leica IIIc
    Nikon F
    Nikon N80
    Minolta SRT202
    Minolta Hi-Matic 7s
    Minolta XG-7

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think you will come to appreciate the effectiveness of the take-up spool of the Leica. I am currently using an M4-P and the only thing that is a little bit difficult is to get the winding sprockets to line up perfectly with the sprocket holes of the film.

Be sure to investigate how to rewind the film also. That was something I did not think about at all in the beginning and had to have help to understand how to use the 'R' button in front of the camera. You turn the lever to about 3 o'clock, which de-clutches the winding mechanism, and you can use the rewind knob and lever to rewind the film. Just in case you didn't know... I don't want you to wonder like I did.

- Thomas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails M4.jpg  
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bestt hing to do is have the seller show you how to load and rewind the camera. There is no shame in this, only if you dont, and bolux it up.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin