Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,815   Online: 1013

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I probably should just get an F-1. But as I just bought an EF (and it's awesome), I dunno. Kinda strapped for cash as well. BTW, I think that the metering is dependent on the various VF's, though I could be wrong.

I have a Praktina FX that's kinda junky, but maybe I'll try my hand at repairing it & then I'd have what I'm looking for.

ALSO, those Minolta's are gorgeous. I've never heard of them to be honest, however their prices are a bit rich for my blood. One pckg on eBay is going for upwards $600!

But we're definitely compiling a great list here.
    Last edited by holmburgers; 04-01-2010 at 03:53 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a Practica FX back in the sixties with a waste level finder, it was so so. The image is going to be to small for focusing.

What I normally do now, is make sure I am far enough away so pointing accuracy is not critical, scale focus, and shoot from the hip. Can even look the other way, and snap away. However, the noise from a SLR may give you away, a quiet RF or scale focus viewfinder camera is better.

I also have a lens accessory that fits on the lens like a lens hood but instead, it contains a mirror and a hole in the side of the hood so its disguised as a lens but shoots sideways. I can take pictures while looking through the finder and appear to be taking a photo straight ahead when really taking it at 90 degrees.

This fools everybody however, I would only use it if shooting from the hip was not good enough, like if using a telephoto. It works really great with a telephoto and the noise from a SLR doesn't matter because the subject thinks I am shooting in a different direction from them.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have worked just as you are thinking about with my Nikon F3. It's prism can be replaced with a waist level finder. But often I would just remove the prism and glance down into the camera. I used either my 24mm 2.8 or any of my 50mms (1.8 or 1.4). I would prefocus so that I would be free to take pictures when I wanted. Prefocus was possible, as I primarily used this for taking photos of people sitting opposite to me in the Moscow Metro and I knew the distance. It was pretty stealthy, but not completely so. But most were not offended by me anyway.

A few examples:

http://erikpetersson.livejournal.com/8167.html
    http://erikpetersson.livejournal.com/4872.html
    http://erikpetersson.livejournal.com/7652.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Hmm, it appears as if I'm just gonna have to buy a cheapie to get this particular trait. Maybe I'll go with an Exakta and cross-justify the purchase with the fact that it's the camera used in Hitchcock's Rear Window...
    If you do go for an Exakta, go for a Varex (VX) or Varex IIA. The IIB (IIRC) has as simplified WLF and is often not as well made (though finders are interchangeable between all models).

Also these are 50-60 year old cameras. Their main bugs tend to be pinholes in the shutter curtains. Make sure that one you're getting has healthy curtains (as well as everything else)! In other words, buy from a reputable source.

Then pick up an Astro Berlin 400mm and you can re-enact Rear Window... :-)
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format

Exakta

Quote Originally Posted by VaryaV View Post
    Agreed.

I had no idea it was used for that film. I will have to watch it again...... cool.
    In the film (Rear Window), the name was covered with tape.

The lens used is still a matter of debate: Apparently different lenses were used, one for the film and one for the still shots.

Pieskar and Astro Berlin are the most quoted candidates.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Praktina FX that's kinda junky, but maybe I'll try my hand at repairing it & then I'd have what I'm looking for.
    If you're talking about a Praktina (not Practika), it really isn't a junky camera at all!

IIRC, the WLF on that one was above average: Not as good as the Exakta's, but far better than most Japanes interchageable viewfinder WLFs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love my Exakta VX..... I'm caressing it right now and messing with the extension tubes, it is a heavy beast though....... now about that Astro Berlin 400mm.......

Shooter
    35mm
    With the Pentax LX, for ad hoc WLF application you can simply slip off the prism and see the focusing screen from above. The WLF viewfinder attachment is simply a folding shade. I imagine this is probably also true for other cameras with removable prism finders.
    Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I probably should just get an F-1. But as I just bought an EF (and it's awesome), I dunno. Kinda strapped for cash as well. BTW, I think that the metering is dependent on the various VF's, though I could be wrong.
    Well, a couple of things: an F-1 is about the same price as an F3 and cheaper than an LX. If you get a brand other than Canon it's going to need a lens, too. Or lenses.
    I just talked with a friend who has F-1's and he says the F-1, F-1n, or New F-1 will all meter with a WLF.

If you know how to incident mater you won't need to re-meter each shot anyway, and could use another body to meter if your camera with WLF finder doesn't.

Another machine with metering in the body is the Topcon Super D/RE Super.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by VaryaV View Post
    I love my Exakta VX..... I'm caressing it right now and messing with the extension tubes, it is a heavy beast though....... now about that Astro Berlin 400mm.......
    Well, I have a Meyer Telemegor 400mm which looks pretty much like the rear window lens ("sadly" my Exakta is a IIA, not the VX - not that can be easily noticed).

Now if you can find out which binoculars were used...
    ;-)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin