Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,701   Posts: 1,482,648   Online: 699

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nikon F4S and fE.E in "S"

I've been stupid... and still learning to get the tricks right:

when shooting in "S" yesterday I forgot to put the A ring to the f22 position.
    My other F601&F65's don't react when so, the F4S just keeps working.
    Some 15 frames on my TMAX 400 were shot on the fE.E in "S" which I missed in the viewer.

What can I expect? The camera made exposures and the flash did some work too.

Any thoughts?

tnx
    rhmimac

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The setting of the ring dictates the smallest aperture that the camera is able to stop the lens down to in S or P modes. If the ring was at f/11 then chances are you were OK, as the ring only prevented stop down if the calculated aperture was smaller than f/11. If the lens was wide open then it wouldn't have stopped down at all.

I don't know how this mechanism interacts with flash though. Even if the lens couldn't stop down to the correct aperture, TTL metering might have saved you, on the other hand maybe not.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you Stan160,

I think the suspected exp's were made with f16 or f11 as I discovered the ring on this position when the end of the roll was there.

It's strange the F4 doesn't halt when fE.E is there. Shooting with the green led set "off" in the viewer when shooting indoors or with low available light isn't sound. I learned now to switch it on and have full check up in the viewer first.
    So every camera has it's own tricks. Even so when you stay in one "family" .

I will have to decide to save the first 15 exp's or the (maybe) messed up last 21 exp's by altering my dev time on this roll.
    The first 15 exp's will be 100% ok so maybe that's the way to go.

tnx

rhmimac
    Last edited by rhmimac; 04-05-2010 at 03:00 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All went well! 36 good pictures came out.
    The F4S has no problem making good exposures when fEE is there in "S".
    Wonderful camera, corrects the fool pressing the button. :-)

rhmimac

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin