Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,614   Online: 790

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon F100 not focusing properly

I have just found an old F100 with a 28-200mm lens and it doesn't want to focus 100%. And when i develop the film it comes out a bit blurry as well, objects comes out but not sharp at all. When i look through the viewfinder the sharpness isn't that good either, i've played with the diopter which improved it to about 90%.

Any ideas on whats going on other than to take it in for a service?

BTW, i can't seem to get the lens to use multi AF, i can slide the switch to it but the AF points doesn't show up and neither can i manually pick the AF point i want – can only use it in centre AF. Is this supposed to be like this?

Cheers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Have you tested it with another lens? Or, when you manually focus, can you get a satisfactorily sharp image in the viewfinder?

By the way, the lens you mention is one I haven't even heard of.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's probably a third party lens. Can you focus manually and see if you can bring subject into a sharp focus? You'll probably want to perform a master reset before messing with settings. There's not telling what custom options are set.

To do this, refer to manual page 76. You can download the manual from Nikon's support page.
    Basically, you push CSM and MODE button simultaneously and hold for 2 seconds.
    Then, Do the same thing again. Release one of the two buttons while CUSTOM is blinking, then press both buttons again.

The first steps will reset settings to a default value. The second steps will clear custom setting.

Welcome to APUG!
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Have you tested it with another lens? Or, when you manually focus, can you get a satisfactorily sharp image in the viewfinder?

By the way, the lens you mention is one I haven't even heard of.
    No i don't have any other D mount lenses to try with, only have G mount ones. Im going to try this lens on my D80 and see if it work.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    It's probably a third party lens. Can you focus manually and see if you can bring subject into a sharp focus? You'll probably want to perform a master reset before messing with settings. There's not telling what custom options are set.
    Ill give that a go, thanks.

The lens i have is this one http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/28200af.htm

Images
    I had a similar problem with my F100, but found out it was the lens and not the body. It works fine with another lens, but the contacts on my favorite lens (wouldn't you know?) aren't working correctly. GOod news is it can be fixed.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jgcull View Post
    I had a similar problem with my F100, but found out it was the lens and not the body. It works fine with another lens, but the contacts on my favorite lens (wouldn't you know?) aren't working correctly. GOod news is it can be fixed.
    Damn, i did the reset and it still looked the same.

Just tested this lens on a D80 and its the same result! So its def the lens is borged

How did you go about fixing it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    G lenses work with the F100. Try it.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    G lenses work with the F100. Try it.
    Yep sure does, shame i don't have any spare lenses lying around (i just swapped the lens from the D80).

Images
    >>How did you go about fixing it?

I haven't yet. Gotta get the extra $$ to send it off, either to Nikon or SPTS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin