Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,163   Online: 1159

Shooter
    35mm

Minolta srT 101 lens

Just bought a srt 101 this morning with several lenses. Aside from the usual Rokkors there was a 28/2.8 bearing the name DIMENSION. Anyone heard of it or have knowledge of it's quality?
    Thanks, Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've had MD mount Rokkors, Vivitars, Soligors, Albinars, Makinons, KMarts, Quantarays. Never heard of that one before. 'Though, everyone and their grandmother made MC/MD mount lenses during the system's 20 year run. Definitely not a forerunner brand, anyhow.

Oh, and welcome to APUG.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh well it looks good; all metal and substantial. I'll pop it on my XE-7 and give it a whirl.
    And thanks for the welcome Chris
    Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Dave;

As Chris also said, welcome to APUG. There is an amazing collection of knowledgeable people here. It might just take a while for someone who will recognize that "third party manufacturer" to respond.

And, it has been a few years since I have been up in the area of Enderby, Armstrong, and Salmon Arm. I always did enjoy the drive up Highway 97 in that part of BC. Going up over the hills to get back from Salmon Arm is something I have done only once in the wintertime.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    35mm

Dimension

lens
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdog View Post
    Just bought a srt 101 this morning with several lenses. Aside from the usual Rokkors there was a 28/2.8 bearing the name DIMENSION. Anyone heard of it or have knowledge of it's quality?
    Thanks, Dave
    I saw Dimension lenses and flashes throughout the 1960s and 1970s, and they appear to have been a even cheaper alternative to the after market lenses such as those marketed under the Vivitar and Soligor brand names. The only place that I recall having seen that brand in the Montreal area, where I lived until 1974, was at the various Montreal Photographic Supply stores, which is now known as Astral Photo, now owned by Black's Photo. Other outlets, such as Mitchell Photographic Supply, Simon's Cameras and La Place didn't carry them, or at least I don't remember seeing them there. Are there any Montreallers or "expats" that can provide more info on this?

I have a Dimension 32 electronic flash, which came as a companion to my first 35mm camera, a Practika Nova1, Christmas, 1968. It has a guide number of 32 with an ISO 25 film, or 64 for an ISO 100 film, and has been slumbering in comfortable retirement form many years now. It served me well for 12 years, until I finally bought a decent automatic flash. I also have an other Dimension flash, a Dimension 404, which I recently resurrected, repaired, and fitted with a new sync cable, and which is residing comfortably in my small bag, along with m Rolleicord camera. It has a GN of 100 with an ISO 100 film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ralph, Terrence
    Thanks for your comments.

This all started because my son in law gave me his old Minolta XE-7 kit, including a lovely 24/2.8 . As I suspected it might, this led to nothing but trouble; yard sale purchase of a rokkor 200/2.8 with the srt 101 attached and bonus Dimension and a beat up Rokkor 58/1.4...not to mention an ebay 135/2.8 purchase. And for the past 2 weeks I have been occupied constructing a B&W darkroom and learning to develop the negs.

So far have have only developed film comparing the XE-7 with mint 50/1.4, and srt with beater 58/1.4. Both look equally good to my eye. However currently loaded film includes The Dimension 28/2.8 and Rokkor 24/2.8 test shots. Probably be developing it this weekend.
    Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    Edit: 200/2.8 wishful thinking; it's f4.5!
    Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've been a Minolta man since high school (no years need be mentioned). Real work horse cameras, and the Rokkor glass has always impressed the hell out of me. I still have my original 58mm 1.4 prime, and 28mm 2.5 lenses that I bought in the early 70's. My trusty old black body 101 fially died in the late late 90s, after many miles of film went through it. I'm now using a 102 that I found among my late brothers equipment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just bought a Minolta SRT-101 kit from my buddy who has had it since the 1960's.
    It came with a 35mm f/2.8 'Dimension' lens. Been trying to research the lens and found
    your thread.It couples to the light metre but has a lever on it for depth of field preview
    as it does not couple to the depth of field preview button on the camera body.
    Anyone else heard of these lenses? A google search just finds contact lenses for
    your eyes.

Best regards,

/Clay

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One more thing, the kit also has three 55mm close up lenses , +1, +2, +3 diopters, brand
    name is 'Impakt' . Anyone heard of 'Impakt' ?

Best regards,

/Clay

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin