Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,908   Posts: 1,584,622   Online: 859

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Olympus OM-2 shutter speed ring

Hi, new to the forum, taking a breather from my digital SLR and diving back into film and b/w self developing.

i've got a problem my much loved OM-2 where the shutter speed ring has lost it's mojo. It doesn't click/ratchet anymore and pretty much won't do the right shutter speed unless its on 1/1000 or 1. In between, it seems to shoot what sounds around 1/60 and thats it.
    I also have an OM-40 P and and OM-1 which are in perfect working order, but I really don't like the feel of them, and I'm wondering whether I can cannibalise the shutter speed mechanism from one of these to use in my OM-2?

Can anyone provide some insight/experience on this? Cheers!

Shooter
    35mm
    My shutter speed ring does nothing as well, set on manual, on my OM20....so also look forward to an answer.

Shooter
    35mm
    It sounds like the spring (that pushes on the ball bearing that rides in the slots of the shutter speed dial) has broken. It's a hairline crack, won't even look cracked when it is taken out, but a little pressure makes it break in two. John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for that info John - do you think is this something I could service/replace myself?
    If I could track down technical info on the OM2 I'd be brave enough to start pulling it apart, but google has failed my thus far.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    aha, thanks mr rusty. i must confess my googling while at work was not very comprehensive..

Shooter
    35mm
    Not a do-it-yourself job but have at it. Due to the length of the spring tab, you may have to remove the manual meter circuit board. John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hmm. quote on repair is AUD $275.. maybe it's time to retire this one and get an OM-4t

Shooter
    35mm
    If body is not tampered, my overhaul price is usually $129 + shipping. John

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    ^ John is your best source for anything Olympus.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin