Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,532   Online: 1011

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A real killer

Shooter
    35mm

A real killer (lens)

My 35/2 with the concave front element is the 35/2 FD SSC. I gave it a light treatment which must have gone on for eight months. This was done with a CFL lamp amd aluminum foil on the bottom. If I had a UV lamp it would have been faster. The color is almost completely clear. If I had to shoot something on color slide film where the exact color was critical I might switch to a 35/2 New FD. The FD SSC is extremely sharp. I have had lenses completely overhauled too. If you enjoy using the lens it's worthwhile.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When you do a "light treatment" is there danger of the lube warming up and migrating onto the blades?

I have a 4x5 lens or two that look like they may have the start of some fungus and was going to set then in the sun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just wrapped my Thorium lens in Foil and left it on my bedroom window ledge for a couple of months.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm

A real killer

That's why I used a CFL. They put off very little heat. It would probaby be faster to use a UV lamp but I don't know how hot that might get. Regular window glass fiters out some UV light but not all of it and most people have reported leaving the lens on a windowsill.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bruce-I gave my lens the window ledge treatment before I had had it CLAd for that reason.
    Ben

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin