Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,522   Posts: 1,543,801   Online: 752

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

EOS-1v: Should I turn it off? (Batt. life)

1v newbie here. I was just wondering if it makes any difference to battery life if it is not switched off when not in use. I keep forgetting to switch it off, since I never do that on my d*****l camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dunno about the 1v but on my Nikons I often forget and leave them on for days, doesn't seem to affect the battery

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Snap - I was just wondering that same thing today (since my shiny "new to me" EOS 1v came in the post this morning)!!

Marc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Switch camera off and if not use is more than few days, remove battery completely from camera. That is what one should do with any battery powered device. If course if battery is not removable than just switch device off.

If camera is on it will use battery power for LCD if nothing else. And even if camera is off it will drain small amount of power. And some batteries can leak if battery is inside of device which is not used for prolonged period. I forgot to remove batteries (NiMH) from mine bicycle light, light was off and discovered I had to replace 2 of 5 batteries as electrolites leaked out from batteries.

Oposite from digi cameras, analog cameras are workable in a same moment when you switch it on, there is no power lag like with digi cameras, so there is no need not to swtch camera off when not use it.
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Based on my experience as a technician at Canon Australia for 5 years in the good old days (New F1's, T90, AE1 Program, Eos 1n, Rs, even the odd Leica mount Canon rangefinder) they use less than 5 microamps when they are on and just sitting there (my memory may be mistaken to the actual number as it's been 20 years), without any of the buttons being pressed. Funny thing was you could get the same sort of battery drain with the camera switched off with a button presses (strange-I know, but true..)

My usual advice is to leave the camera on while you are actually shooting, and turn it off at the end of the day when you put it in your bag....just make sure none of the shutter buttons (body or grip) are being pressed
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My 1v suffers no ill effects to battery performance if I leave it on.
    I'm running the NP-E2.

I try to remember to turn off my 1n because that uses the 2CR5 and those can get pricey.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I usually turn mine off when not in use. As in if it goes in the bag for the day, I flip it off. I think it uses minimal power if left on, but you aren't doing anything with it.

Shooter
    35mm
    If I remember to turn it off in the end of the day, I do. But I won't be worried about it if I didn't.

/David

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Batteries, what are those? Don't use them in my medium format cameras! Grins & Smiles!

But for cameras that have batteries for more than the light meter I only take them out when I re-charge them. The film cameras that have a button battery for the light meter I only replace when it's dead. When I make pics at an important gig I charge everything up before the event takes place, camera batteries, flash batteries, the ones in each piece of equipment as well as backups. I turn off the cameras, flashes when the gig is over.

Hope this helps you.
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only reason I switch of my EOS 3 and 300 are so that the shutter button doesn't get pressed accidentaly, as I generally have things...slightly disorganised, let's say, in my bag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin