Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,281   Online: 822

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Electro gee-gaw Nikon with mashed potatoes

Hello all,
    This dinosaur has been tasked to shoot a birthday reception in a dark restaurant with a digithell Nikon SLR I am forced to use. I would like to use my beat up old Sunpak 555 potato masher for added light.
    I have rigged a piece of gummed label covering all the electronic connection points on the hot shoe of the camera, with a single hole over the actual hot contact. I have a screw on hot-shoe to pc adapter. It fires o.k.
    Any reason why this will not be harmless to the electronics of this electronic "thing" tonight at the shoot?
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I posted here because it would seem to me the electronics issues would be the same with a film camera.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't really know. But it depends on the sync voltage of the flash and what you camera is capable of handling. A lot of new cameras only like lower voltages for flashes, and some older flashes used very high voltages.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The bottom of the pc-adapter has only the single hot spot, right? In that case I'd think you could just slip it right in there without covering anything. How will you do the exposure? Is there some manual flash setting on the "camera?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Without knowing the synch voltage of the old flash, this could definitely be a gamble.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Nikon DSLRs are o.k. up to 250v. I personally think a lot of the voltage paranoia is just marketing nonesense to sell new flashes.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    The lower end Nikon DSLRs have a tough time focusing and deciding on exposure in subdued lighting, putting a manual lens on solves that problem nicely. Of course the lower end Nikons also won't meter with a manual lens, but then that will make using the external flash that much easier (that is easier when you don't let the camera think for you).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used my 285 Vivitar with my D70 to do a Wedding and had no problems but I used the Nikon hot shoe to PC adapter and used the 285 on a bracket. I used the camera on manual with sync shutter speed and kept check on the hystogram for exposure. I think the adapter was AS-15 Nikon and was about $20.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Nikon DSLRs are o.k. up to 250v. I personally think a lot of the voltage paranoia is just marketing nonesense to sell new flashes.

Steve.
    Not always. I fried the autofocus on a Pentax 645N by using an old flash. Luckily, it was a relatively cheap fix. But I'd suggest getting a "safe sync" hotshoe adapter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    this page will answer 1/2 of the question -- the flash's voltage
    but I don't have a clue as to what is safe -- check the manual.

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
    "If you look at a thing nine hundred and ninety-nine times, you are perfectly safe; if you look at it the thousandth time, you are in frightful danger of seeing it for the first time." G.K.Chesterton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin