Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,130   Online: 968

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on Nikon

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would buy everything on your list except the 80-200 lens. I would substitute a flash ; they are cheap, and can be useful, so why not?

If you can stretch, I would add the 85mm f1.4 lens or the 105mm f2.5 in the future. These are wonderful lenses. I'm not sure you need a third lens right away anyway.

-Laura

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The FE has one outstanding feature that the FE2 doesn't have, it can take virtually any Nikkor or Nikon lens, there are about 4 exceptions.

The FE2 cannot take the older lenses that all of the F cameras from the F4 backwards can take. I don't know about the F5 and F6.

The FE has a meter coupling lever on the camera lens mount which you swing up or down, this allows you to use lenses from 1959 onwards, there are some gems out there!

I have F3's and an FE2, all bought new, all still working. If I lived in a cold climate like yours I would think very seriously in the FM or FM2.

The FE2 camera in extreme cold (-20ºC or lower) in my own personal experience, isn't as good as the F3 camera. I put it down to the match needle meter taking a lot of power to run compared to the F3 with an LCD readout.

Currently in my country the F3 bodies are cheaper than either an FE or an FE2. I believe the F3 body could be worth considering if the price is right.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'll buck the trend here.

With your criteria I'd go for an N90s.

Sure it's an AF camera but so what, you don't have to turn that on.

Great meter, better ttl, easy/fast to load, has most modern features and costs less than an FE/FE2.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shimoda View Post
    As much as I love my Rolleicord I really do need to get myself an SLR for family shots and less serious stuff. Have been using Nikon as 135 all my life and see no reason to change now. I've given myself a budget around $500 and would like a good body, a wide, a normal and a zoom. Am in no hurry as money is still being saved, so to speak.

On KEH I have my eyes on the following line-up

Camera: Nikon FE2
    Wide: Nikkor 24 f2.8
    Normal: Nikkor 50 f1.8
    Zoom: Nikkor 80-200 f4

I figured if I stay manual focus I can afford better lenses and I just plain like focusing. I'm weird that way. This would be about $550 including shipping.

Anyone wiser than me having any comments on this. Is there a better bargain to be had with other body/lenses?

Awaiting comments this gray, bleak April Sunday morning when the spring seem to have retreated back to the warmer places. It's 3 degrees C outside and I have taken all the pictures of snow I need for a long time. Would be nice to try some Velvia. But you need colors for that. Sigh!

r

Mats
    Pretty good kit my suggestion sub the 80-200 F4 lens with the 105 f2.5 and 200 f4 and you got the perfect SLR kit.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lns View Post
    ...If you can stretch, I would add the 85mm f1.4 lens or the 105mm f2.5 in the future. These are wonderful lenses. I'm not sure you need a third lens right away anyway.

-Laura
    If you stay with the 85 f/2, you can cover all your lenses on the list (except the zoom) with the same filter size.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love Nikon and agree with Ralph Lambrecht. Prime lenses are fantastic. I can recommend the 50mm 1.4 and the 85mm 1.8.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have the 80-200 f4,5 zoom. It has the same filter size as my other lenses. And it is very good as far as I can judge - I use it seldom.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a question may be a bit off topic. I have the 85mm f/2 lens and heard a lot of recommendation about the much more expensive 85mm f/1.4. I am wondering if the f/1.4 lens is better at say f/11, f/8, f/5.6 etc..? I never use my lens at f/2 or even 2.8 due to my preference for depth of field so do I benefit from the f/1.4 lens?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have the F100, F and the FM and used to have an EM but far and away my favorite Nikon I have is the F100.
    It has auto focus and exposure but you don't have to use it. the meter is great, it has TTL flash metering and you can pick one up in new condition for around 250. My F meter kept going dead, the FM has been in the shop a number of times and every time the repairman pointed out that the repair costs more than buying another used one.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Shimoda,

I have more Nikon bodies/lenses/acc from just about every "era" and just wanted to give you my 2 cents - even though I have a truck load I continually buy more of them when I see fantastic deals - Heck I give them to people that are interested in photography sometimes. I have a knack for picking up pristine examples for a song as I just did for one of my daughters (black paint FM that looks and operates as If it never had a roll of film through it)

Here is a pic.

http://photo.rwboyer.com/2010/04/03/...seventy-bucks/

I would suggest an FM or FM2 if you want that style body vs an FE/FE2, not that the FE are bad but because some of them develop issues in their electronics (more than some) - the FM and esp FM2 are in far greater demand and you can turn them around very quickly and has been mentioned they will work w/o battery.

The only real advantage of the FM2/FE2 are that they are newer - have a higher top shutter speed - and a 1/250 flash sync speed but I would not buy these for on camera or for automatic flash control I would go for a new style camera instead if you are a heavy auto flash user.

If you want small get the FM/FM2 - if you want aperture priority auto - get the F3 instead of the FE series - lots and lots focusing screen options/finders/etc. They are not that much bigger/heavier really.

The other consideration is NON-AI lenses - of course you can have them "AI'd" but the FM/FE and F3 can all mount NON-AI lenses the FM2/FE2 cannot because the prior have a flip up AI interface the latter do not.

All that being said if you are considering a "newer" modern style camera go for the F100 or even the F5 - the F100 is smaller (about the same size as the F90/N90). The N90 is plasticy the F100 is build like a brick - all metal and has most of the stuff the F5 has. Great flash control - Flip up AI prong - can mount ANY lens new or old - can use G lenses just like the D3 - the controls are just like the new pro digital bodies AND.... THEY GO FOR A SONG - less than the FM2 bodies. They are real machines but not retro looking.

RB

Ps. I have all this stuff and may be willing to part with any of them if it is mutually beneficial.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin