Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,159   Online: 1090

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Nikon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow.
    I'm still confused but on a higher level.
    Let's see. Almost 100% agreement on dumping the 80-200 f4. Ok. It's gone. 85mm or 105 it shall be. Maybe both in time.

Seems like most people suggest an FM over an FE. Me living on the North Pole and all that. Or an F100 or an F3. Desicions, desicions.

From a practical standpoint, what are the biggest differences between F100 and F3. The F3 is of course a pro camera which I suppose means more weight and higher price.

Thanks everybody for your input. Keep them coming.

r

Mats
    Digital is for communication, film is for documentation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/studiopirilo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The F100 is *totally* different from most of the other choices mentioned. It is really more for faster action. As such, it is often called the "backup" for an F5 (or F6). It is the backup camera that became a respected primary camera. Totally different experience than an FE or FM or FM2N. The F100 is well suited to sports and wildlife, birding, that kind of thing. It can definitely be used for slower, more deliberative work, but... that's clearly not what it was built for. Also the VF coverage on the F100 is a wee bit disappointing, and so if full-frame composition is critical (e.g. for slides that will be projected), that can be an issue. I still love it as a camera, I am just saying. Oh, also, the F100 can couple to a good quality vertical grip, which for some cases is absolutely vital. Also, matrix metering is a big deal if you shoot a lot of colour.

So, of the cameras mentioned, the F100 is the odd man out... it is a super camera, but it is entirely different from the FM/FE/FM2N etc. The F3 is a good bit closer to those in spirit than the F100. Really nice piece. Hell they are all nice, get a few and try 'em! The only one I parted with was an F5. I never found use for the 100 hp autofocus.... since I tend to use manual even with AF lenses You could mow your lawn with the F5, if they just made the right attachment.

Find an APUGger who can loan you some bodies, or just tell KEH to send you a few to try out, they probably will help you.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, the thing about the F3 is that while it is a completely manual focus body with an excellent viewfinder, the camera is battery dependent, and not only for the metering system. The shutter is electronically controlled, and without the battery you are stuck with a single speed of about 1/80 sec. To be fair, the batteries it uses (a single CR 1/3N or 2 LR 44's) last a long time, but you can't run out and just buy one off the nearest convenience store shelf if you run short. In very cold weather, this can be problem too. There is an accessory remote battery holder for the F3 that allows the use of two AA batteries and can be kept in a warm pocket. The FM's aren't nearly as elegant as the F3's and need no batteries to run as they only power the meter and you can do without that in a pinch. I believe the FE cameras are all also battery dependent.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    There are lots of valuable opinions, but be sure the kit you are building fits your need. It sounds like you expect the Rollei to be your go-to serious camera and the Nikon your casual/event camera. If that is the case, it may be worth thinking about building a kit aimed at portability and generality. Or you might be interested in autofocus to help with high action situations. Or low light performance may be crucial.

Don't get my wrong here. I adore my F4s and have a 85/1.8 AF mounted on it most of the time. I also have a 50mm macro lens, a 50mm 1.8 and a 35-70mm zoom. Of those, the macro and the zoom are the next most frequently used because they cover different situations. Sure, I'd love a kit of fast primes, but I also shoot situations where distances can change rapidly, etc.

Continuing that line of thought, the F4s isn't exactly the most discrete camera to point at someone. Some of my digital Canon friends get an even harder harder reaction with their 80-200/2.8L lenses - the lenses produce great images and are high utility, but they get different shots than the ones a photographer with a smaller camera.

If I was building a 'family shoot' mess around kit, I'd probably go with a smaller body, a fast lens at good portrait distance, a wide range zoom for times when portability was critical and distances unknown and a flash. Anything left over and I'd throw in a trigger to get the flash off camera.

That said, I also enjoy walking around with a Rolleicord and a compact rangefinder (usually a Canonet 17 or Olympus 35DC). Together, they fit in the same bag as my F4s body.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have used the FE, FM and F3. I would like the F3 the most and although the F3 was most expensive of the three when it was introduced, in the used market today it sometimes can be had for less. The F3 is almost totally battery dependent but that fact doesn't bother me a bit. I have never got caught with dead batteries with the F3 (although my F5 did). Because the F3 is electronic its shutter speed is signifcantly more accurate than that of the FM. I don't know why but checking several FE, their shutter speed aren't any more accurate than the FM although it's electronic.
    So my conclusion is that the F3 is best but in some situation its size and weight is not desisable. In such cases I think the FM and the FE are equal so I would buy which ever is less. It seems that the FE can be had for less today although it's more expensive than the FM when they were new.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The F3 or the F3HP, 100% view finder. Imagine if you could only see 90% of what you get with your 4x5 view camera, or TLR. OK, I can live with my other Nikon's with smaller views, like the FE, however, first choice for me is my F3.

Then there is mirror lock up. Not everyone needs or appreciates this but I just read that it is still on the F5 and F6 so there is a need for it.

The F100 is a nice camera, however, since my first choice is not auto focus, can wait till I have lots of extra money.

The F3 can also be paired with the motor drive which then puts the expose meter on 8 AA batteries. Or, get an F2.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by shimoda View Post
    From a practical standpoint, what are the biggest differences between F100 and F3. The F3 is of course a pro camera which I suppose means more weight and higher price.
    I have two F3hps. One is dead, electronics failed. The other died (same reason) once but I decided to get it repaired.

It's a lot bigger in hand then the FE2 and a lot heavier around the neck. It's clunkier, so to speak. For day to day, I'd take the FE2 anytime. The FE2 is a diminutive and unassuming. It also has a better shutter.

The F3hp is a great camera, does have a better viewfinder, and I'll use it for produced (assistants on sets) shoots w/ a MB-15 battery pack - even over an F5 - b/c w/ MB-15 there's hardly a better feeling or sounding motorized camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As a true casual camera, the FG is just fine. Small and light. The F3 (I have 3 of them) is a more serious camera. Larger and heavier. 28f2.8, 50f1.8 or 1.4, and 105f2.5, and you're set. Add a 35f2 and 85f2, and you're more set.
    Art should unsettle the comfortable, and comfort the unsettled.

My photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    The F3 or the F3HP, 100% view finder. Imagine if you could only see 90% of what you get with your 4x5 view camera, or TLR. OK, I can live with my other Nikon's with smaller views, like the FE, however, first choice for me is my F3.
    That is why I gave up from FG, FG20 and F801s - I only use F3. I don't like croping and I like to see 100% of view finder / final negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok. Thank you all. A lot to ponder.
    Knowing me I will most likely end up with a F3 a FM2 and a FE2.

Let's see which is the first once I get the cash.

r

Mats
    Digital is for communication, film is for documentation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/studiopirilo

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin