Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,958   Posts: 1,522,994   Online: 1176

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Nikon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With un-filed negative carriers and with commercial colour print processing, the image on the negative is somewhat cropped, so actually the 92% cropped camera viewfinder, shows 100% of the final image on print.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One model has not come up. Any comments on the Nikon FA?

r

Mats
    Digital is for communication, film is for documentation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/studiopirilo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by shimoda View Post
    One model has not come up. Any comments on the Nikon FA?

r

Mats
    I gave my wife one as a gift and she never used it. I tried it a couple of times, to complex for me, like the FE with more exposure options/features.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    I gave my wife one as a gift and she never used it. I tried it a couple of times, to complex for me, like the FE with more exposure options/features.
    You have one more you feel like giving away

r

Mats

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's what to do: continue to educate yourself about the various models, features, and prices so you know what's what. Then, let the camera find you. When the opportunity presents itself, you'll be ready, and will recognize it. Lots of cameras have found me this way.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    The FE2 or FM2 or any of their variants including the FA are all wonderful, but I have to put in a word for the FG as a nice compact manual-focus SLR camera. The FG was my first student camera. It has TTL flash and also was the first Nikon with a full program mode (in addition to aperture-priority and manual). The downside is that it has no DOF preview and no exposure lock (the button that you might think is an AE lock is actually a "backlight compensation button" which adds two stops to the exposure - convenient but limited). Parts are reputedly difficult to find for the FG but then, I suppose that's true for most of these cameras.

If you want an 80-200mm range zoom, don't overlook the Nikon 70-210mm f/4 Series E which is also quite good and may be a little less expensive (since it doesn't say "Nikkor" on the barrel).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You have one more you feel like giving away

r

Mats
    No, but my wife will give you this one if you come cook, clean house, and pay the bills.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    No, but my wife will give you this one if you come cook, clean house, and pay the bills.
    It's a deal! When can I start?

r

Mats

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a deal! When can I start?

r

Mats
    Hop on the next flight out, I will pick you up at Chicago O'Hara airport. Will even throw in a lens.

Shooter
    35mm

Advice On Nikon

I agree with Mr. Nut on replacing the zoom with a 105/2.5 and a 200/4. I actually prefer the 200/4 QC to the 200/4 AI. My QC has the factory AI conversion ring. On the short end I think there is too much distance between the 24 and the 50. I used to carry 20, 28 and 35 and skip the 24. I would slot a 35/2 in between the 24 and the 50. My choice for a slower 50 would be either a 50/2 AI or the first version of the 50/1.8 AI. These are both good and are better made than the subsequent slow 50s.

The FG and FG20 are not in the same league as the FE/FM cameras. They have nice features but aren't made nearly as well. I find the FE and FE2 cameras equally nice to use. They are quite sturdy and not too large. If you get an FE2 then an FE might be your second body later. The F3 is heavier and usually more expensive. I saw am FM2N today at a camera show. The seller wanted $250 for it. It's nice to have a camera which can function without a battery but carrying an extra battery is not much of a chore. The FM3A offers the best of both worlds but is very expensive. For me, even though it's part of a different system, the Canon F-1N is a good compromise. If your battery is good it gives you electronically timed speeds. If your battery has to come out you still get 1/90 to 1/2000 mechanically timed.

I also agree that AF cameras like the F100 are different from the FE/FM series and not necessarily as good for manual focusing. I have two N2020s in my collection which I like to use for macro work with manual focusing lenses. Even with the standard screen the center is not blacked out by a split image or microprism focusing aid. Eventually I'll get an E screen for the N2020. The N2020 also has TTL flash capability.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin