Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,548,409   Online: 1046

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Nikon

Shooter
    35mm
    Good advice, John. I agree with your point regarding the 35. I have the 35/2.8, and it is perhaps the best 35 I have used--excellent color and sharpness. I also use the HN-3.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a Nikon kit very similar to that discussed in this thread (FE, 24mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4, and 85mm f/2). I'm very happy with this camera and these lenses, although the earlier poster was correct that the match needle meter of the FE is unusable in very low light. (I just put the camera in Auto and use the AE lock in those situations.)

I'm looking for a bag to carry this camera with these three lenses, a few rolls of film, and a few filters. Any suggestions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AAlfano View Post

I'm looking for a bag to carry this camera with these three lenses, a few rolls of film, and a few filters. Any suggestions?
    Depends on how you intend to use it... ;-)

Not walking long distances and working intensively out of the bag: A "classic" camera (side) bag.
    Walking long distances and putting the bag down to work: A camera rucksack.
    Walking long distances with light kit, keeping fairly mobile but still working without putting things down: A hip (waist) belt bag.
    A compromise between a rucksack and working out of a bag (not having to put it down): A "Trim Trekker" or a "Slingshot" type bag.
    Staying anonymous in nasty areas: A diaper changing bag...
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    As said earlier, The FM is a very reliable camera. I do not have the FE but have also heard problems on the light seals.

Just my 2 cents...
    My weapons consist of 11 cameras. And counting... Be afraid.

We are the makers of music, The dreamers of dreams.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yesterday I rcvd a payment for a small wedding I did so now the GAS savings account is slightly topped up. Time to do some shopping and inform you all about my decision on this. (I know you have all been waiting impatiently for this.)

I spent 3 hours trolling Ffordes, KEH and Adorama. I read this thread again and again, reviews and opinions by everybody and their demented brother.

Finally I broke down and ordered krom KEH.

Nikon FA condition EX+
    105 F2.5 AI condition EX+
    50 F1.4 S AI condtion EX+

Total including shipping $700.
    Money was not enough now for a wide lens. I'm thinking of the 20 f3.5 but they are not cheap. So later.

Most likely someone from this very knowledgeable group will now tell me why this combination is a total disaster

I am now like a child before christmas. Eagerly awaiting my package.

r

Mats
    Digital is for communication, film is for documentation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/studiopirilo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are only going to have one wide angle lens the 28mm I.M.O would be a more useful choice for general photography than the 24mm because it's a hell of a jump in terms of angle of view from the 50mm lens.
    P.S I believe you need not the AI but the the AIS lenses for the Nikon FA for it to work in the programme mode.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 06-22-2010 at 03:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    If you are only going to have one wide angle lens the 28mm I.M.O would be a more useful choice for general photography than the 24mm because it's a hell of a jump in terms of angle of view from the 50mm lens.
    P.S I believe you need not the AI but the the AIS lenses for the Nikon FA for it to work in the programme mode.
    As I understand it an AI lens works very good with the FA but som of the more esoteric functions does not. If so I can live whithout P-mode if I have to.

r

mats
    Digital is for communication, film is for documentation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/studiopirilo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by shimoda View Post
    As I understand it an AI lens works very good with the FA but som of the more esoteric functions does not. If so I can live whithout P-mode if I have to.

r

mats
    You are quite right they will work O.K , I didn't know if you were aware about the programme mode and were expecting them to work fully.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Some people might tell you that the electronics in the FA are a bit fragile. All that I can say is that mine is still going strong after 24 years. I really like the camera & it started a long relationship with Nikon for me. With regard to program mode on the FA, the AIS allows it to switch to a higher shutter speed biased program with a lens longer that 135mm if I recall right. I hardly ever use program mode & haven't tried it with an AI lens, but imagine that it will work & just be stuck in one of the program modes. Pass on which one though?

The other thing that AIS lenses have compared to AI is a linear aperture. Think that the blades move more exactly in relation to the movement of the lever compared to AI. Something along those lines anyway? Think that I read somewhere that an AI lens causes a very tiny delay in the shutter being released as the camera takes another reading.......

I have a 105mm F2.5 & the lens is superb. I would be surprised if it disappoints you. Maybe think about adding an MD-15 to your FA at some point. IMO adding one to mine made it handle better.
    David.

NAS sufferer with far too much Nikon kit.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a FM2n, FE and FE2. They are all GREAT cameras. If you anticipate low-light conditions, I find the LED exposure indicators a definite advantage over the needle of the FE and FE2. In normal, or bright light, I do prefer the more informative needle indicator. Personal choice, but either works well.

All three of these options could probably stand a good CLA with light seal replacement. I found that my FE's seals were so compressed that they could not be expected to last too much longer, and my FM2n's had become very gummy and were dropping pieces. I sent both in to KEH for service and they came back in excellent shape, with VERY QUICK turn-around time. One week exactly, including shipping both directions. If I remember right, cost was approximately $125 for each, and included several repairs and replacement of worn parts in the FE. Not the cheapest, but good work and great customer service. I would probably suggest you ask them to perform a CLA prior to shipping a purchase from them, will save you some shipping costs I assume, and you will be assured of a well-functioning camera. That's what I would do.

Good luck, what ever you decide. That family of Nikons are highly recommended. (Not at all influenced by the fact that my first serious camera was an FM2n back in the mid 80's) :-)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin