Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,207   Posts: 1,531,890   Online: 1070

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Nikon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you for your advice and information. I will ask KEH to check the seals before sending it out.

r

Mats
    Digital is for communication, film is for documentation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/studiopirilo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I read this whole discussion, and nobody mentioned the F4? If the F5 and F100 were in the mix, why not the F4? Seems to me to be the best of the old (good old knobs and dials) but with good automation too. Bright finder, lots of lens compatibility, built like a tank, cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck94022 View Post
    I read this whole discussion, and nobody mentioned the F4? If the F5 and F100 were in the mix, why not the F4? Seems to me to be the best of the old (good old knobs and dials) but with good automation too. Bright finder, lots of lens compatibility, built like a tank, cheap.
    I was really, really tempted to make it an F4. But I tried to get at least two lenses to fit in to the budget and that meant the F4 had to go for a cheaper body. But I see a strong possibility of an F4 in the future.
    The money, always the money.

r

Mats

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I love my F4s but it is a beast. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a huge camera, but for something meant for family snapshots and such it may not be the best fit for shimodas needs. When I take an F4 out, I intend to spend most of my time taking pictures. Smaller SLRs are easier to treat as more casual use cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If Shimoda was motivated only by the need for family snaps I hardly think he'd be on apug asking about manual nikons! He'd be on dpreview or somewhere checking out the latest digibits.

I think if you want to enjoy the craft of making photos by hand, eye, and mind, but you also want to make some snaps of the family too, and you love film, the F4 is a pretty good sweet spot. Yeah it's a tank, but it's still In my opinion the last of the great *traditional* (meaning no computer menus) F cameras. Personally, I love the knobs. Plus, you can downsize it with the mb20 battery pack.

Anyway, Shimoda, congrats on your selection. I know you'll enjoy your kit. Post some of your results in the gallery!

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry to detract on the latest posts - but honestly I'd say an F3 is a much better all-arounder/sweet-spot camera than an F4. The F4 is overly bulky and honestly a bit long-toothed/80s-era feeling to me without any real advantages over it's older brother. The F3 is just a classic period - you can't really go wrong with one.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If (when) I get an F4 it will most likely be the (European ???) model whithout the external battery pack.

If one looks for a silver lining in this digital photo age it must be that poor guys like me can afford pro-cameras. A good age to be alive in!

r

Mats

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might want to reconsider that. While the external batter pack does add quite a bit of bulk and weight to the camera, it's not terrible and there are some advantages. The extra weight adds stability and the extra shutter button makes hand held vertical compositions easier to do. Oh yeah, longer intervals between battery changes is nice too.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck94022 View Post
    You are not a great reader - I mention these on page one.

RB

Shooter
    35mm
    The Fe/fe2 is a great choice, I much prefer it's analog meter then the led/lcd meters in other nikon mf cameras. I've bought and sold everything you've listed on ebay, and I must say that you should be able to buy it all for well under $500. An "ebay price" for that list of items would be around $300, $100 for the camera, and $200 for the three lenses.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin