Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,710   Posts: 1,548,634   Online: 1116

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

Thread: Advice on Nikon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by djacobox372 View Post
    The Fe/fe2 is a great choice, I much prefer it's analog meter then the led/lcd meters in other nikon mf cameras. I've bought and sold everything you've listed on ebay, and I must say that you should be able to buy it all for well under $500. An "ebay price" for that list of items would be around $300, $100 for the camera, and $200 for the three lenses.
    You are most likely right about eBay prices. But I have bought enough on eBay to know that it's a gamble. In this case I preferred to pay the "dealer-tax" and get one that I know will be OK. It is a 25 year old camera after all.

Even something as "simple" as a light meter can give problem when you can't inspect it beforehand. First Weston meter I bought was completely dead. Seller returned money and let me keep meter. Second one did meter something but not in any meaningful way. Third one (Sekonic) was a charm.

r

Mats
    Digital is for communication, film is for documentation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/studiopirilo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rwboyer View Post
    You are not a great reader - I mention these on page one.

RB
    Oops. Well, i hope I'm a great reader in spite of the oversight... :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rwboyer View Post
    You are not a great reader - I mention these on page one.

RB
    On a second read, RB, I found no posts from you on page one. There is a post from you on page two but you don't seem to mention the F4. In your follow up post you don't mention it either.

So does that make you not a great writer? :-p

Shooter
    35mm
    Mats, before you buy the 20, see if you can find one to try or look through the viewfinder with one mounted. I find the 20 almost too wide. I really like the view from the 24. The 20 looks almost unnatural to me.

I've bought from KEH, Adorama, B&H and my local camera store. My local store has a nice selection of used lenses and bodies and they usually price close to KEH so I'll buy from them because I can inspect it before buying.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have obtained very good results using the excellent TC14A teleconverter with the 50 f1.4AIS lens on a F3HP. This combination makes a great 71mm moderate portrait lens. Something to consider.

Shooter
    35mm
    This has been a wonderful thread! I have an FE that my dad gave me a few years ago and I find that I love using it. Last week at our camera shop I found a Nikkor 50/1.4 but it came with an FA attached to it, so I bought the combo. I feel that I could really grow to like this camera but one that I've admired for quite some time is the F3HP. So, I bought one from KEH and should receive it by the middle of next week. I'm very excited and encouraged by all the great comments about the F3HP in this thread. I also bought a Nikkor 24/2.8 to add to the arsenal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You have the bug. Now go get yourself an 85 mm f/2 lens and you're set to go.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Listen to what Ralph is saying. Zoom lenses make photographers lazy and produce shitty photography 95% of the time. Prime lenses force a modal style of seeing and approaching subjects/scenes which can be felt and seen in the final results.
    73% of statistics are made up on the spot.

As for cameras - my first serious camera was an FE2. Excellent camera. I carried one about Europe in my backpack during my youth. But now I use an F100 for family pics. Auto focus proved valuable when my kids were young and always in motion. And it proved valuable when they started playing organized sports.

I also enjoy manual and semi-manual cameras. I use a Mamiya 7 for travel, and I shoot 4x5 when I really want to slow down and exercise a great deal of control.
    Last edited by Robert Budding; 07-03-2010 at 07:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Good point about kids and manual focus cameras. Great cameras, but when kids are on the move, it can be difficult to focus quickly.

Zoom lenses and autofocus aren't bad things. But I see how they can lead toward complacency.

However, that's true of all things: Automatic transmissions, electric can openers, microwave ovens, digital cameras (oops, let's open that Pandora's Box), etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought the Nikon F in 1959 when it came out. I used for years. In 1973 I added a Nikon F2. Kept using both. When the F3HP came out, took me a while to take the jump. I didn't want a camera with batteries. Finally I relented after Nikon made the Nikon F2 more expensive than the F3. Later came the FM, FE, FE2, FM2, F4, FM3A, etc. They are all still working.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin