Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,723   Online: 1097

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canon T90

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dances_w_clouds View Post
    I just picked up the flash adapter from my Canon T90 to a Metz 45 CT1. It is a "Nikon AS-15 Hot Shoe Adapter" in case any other Canon T90 owners would need such a thing. It was probably a sought after item in 1986 but now probably not so much..,... Just wonder if ANY of my EOS cameras would still be usable after 25 years ???
    The reason I recommended the Wein Safe Sync was that it has electronics in it that whatever trigger voltage the flash has it reduces it to below 6 Volts, I don't think the Nikon AS 15 does this I think it's just an ordinary hotshoe to sync socket adaptor and still might fry the cameras electronics.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 05-21-2010 at 09:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

adapter

Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    The reason I recommended the Wein Safe Sync was that it has electronics in it that whatever trigger voltage the flash has it reduces it to below 6 Volts, I don't think the Nikon AS 15 does this I think it's just an ordinary hotshoe to sync socket adaptor and still might fry the cameras electronics.
    I purchased it from Beau Photo in Vancouver and this adapter is what they recommended. I had my T90 with me when I inquired about it. I have already shot 2 rolls with no problems. On the instructions it said to not use it on a camera with OVER 7 volts I was just wondering if any other learned photographers have a concerns about it because maybe I just got lucky with using it that many times without frying my system.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I purchased it from Beau Photo in Vancouver and this adapter is what they recommended. I had my T90 with me when I inquired about it. I have already shot 2 rolls with no problems. On the instructions it said to not use it on a camera with OVER 7 volts I was just wondering if any other learned photographers have a concerns about it because maybe I just got lucky with using it that many times without frying my system.
    I worked in camera stores for long enough to know that most of the employees are salesmen, not photographers and "don't know an f stop from a bus stop" according to Metz if it has a serial number below 53400 it has a very high trigger voltage but I wouldn't trust any of them without the Wein Safe Sync.
    http://www.metz.de/en/photo-electronics/faq.html#c2138
    http://www.ayton.id.au/gary/photo/photo_Metz.htm
    http://www.bobatkins.com/smf/index.p...ge;topic=219.0
    Last edited by benjiboy; 05-21-2010 at 03:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Where would I find the serial # on my Metz 45 CT-1 ? I've looked all around it & nothing with #s

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might be able to rely on the salesperson at Beau Photo - nowadays they only really sell to the Pro market, and they have more of a focus on their pro level rentals than anything in the "amateur" market.

That being said, I would expect that a T90 would be much more susceptible to being "fried" than any of the Canon F series cameras (not sure about the A series).

I used to have a Metz 402, and still have a couple of Metz 60 series flashes. The 402 had a very high trigger voltage, and I wouldn't have even considered using it with my Mamiya 645 Super or Pro. The 60 CT1 and 60 CT2 have trigger voltages between 20 and 30 volts according to the page linked below, so I have avoided using them with the 645 Super or Pro.

Here is the link: http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Where would I find the serial # on my Metz 45 CT-1 ? I've looked all around it & nothing with #s
    Dennis:

On my 60 CT2 the serial number is engraved on the bottom of the flash-head itself - I just rotate the bounce head up to point vertically, and it is visible near the front.

If your flash has a built in wide angle diffuser, slide it into place, because the 60 CT series' diffuser hides the serial number when it is stored retracted.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From what I can read it is a 23 ??? but it still puts it UNDER the 53400 mark of the high voltage. I have collected all the post links that were sent to me but I can only find one reference that stated the 45 CT-1 Will not work on the EOS cameras but nothing about the T-90. I have been using the flash many times with out a problem on my A & F body Canons. I need a SOME sort of specific "evidence" so I don't go into Beau Photo not knowing what I am referring to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dennis:

If the serial number is less than 53400, it means that your flash is the older version, and has a trigger voltage that ranges between 200V and 600V - much too high to safely use with cameras that have flash synch circuits that rely on electronic switching components rather than mechanical switching components.

Your F series camera(s) are fully mechanical.

I don't know whether the flash synch circuits in your A series cameras are fully mechanical.

I think that the flash synch circuit in the T90 is the same as the early EOS cameras, and is therefore electronic, and is therefore subject to being damaged by electronic flashes with high trigger voltages.

You may find the section on trigger circuit voltage in the following link useful (note that there is some discussion therein about the T90, although not in reference to trigger circuit voltages per se): http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/index2.html

By the way, I definitely wouldn't use that flash with your Mamiya 645 Super, unless you use a safe-synch as well.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK thanks everyone for your help. The adapter will remain unused until I get it straightened out. Too bad Beau Photo doesn't remain open on weekends. I always thought remaining closed on weekends (Saturday anyway) to be a bad idea. But I suppose the majority of customers are the professionals who need weekends for them selves.
    Also we are getting an abundance of sun so a flash will not be necessary hopefully. And its a long weekend as well. In Canada anyway.

And I thought this T90 would be the best thing I ever purchased but as you can see by all my posts it is NOT working as well as I was expecting.
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 05-21-2010 at 08:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From what I can read it is a 23 ??? but it still puts it UNDER the 53400 mark of the high voltage. [] I need a SOME sort of specific "evidence",...
    Wouldn't just employing a voltmeter yield the best evidence?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin