Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,012   Online: 716

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canon T90

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Canon T90

I have recently picked up a Canon T 90. Everything seemed to work well. The body is in excellent condition. I have shot approximately 28 rolls. The last roll of HP 5 seems to have a problem. I have included several pictures of it. What I was wondering is this this one of the symptoms of the sticky shutter problem ? I had always thought that the shutter works horizontally. I also wondering if this is a MAJOR prob. or something that will not break the bank if I take it for repair.
    BTW I used 2 different lenses also.
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 04-12-2010 at 01:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Its A not a horizontal shutter, but a plastic curtained vertical running focal plane shutter.
    Ben

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Definitely not the shutter. It's a light leak. Look at the similarity of the shapes of the R/H vertical edges of the overexposed areas of each frame - shadow of the felt trap of the film can. I think you'll find the leak extends into the rebate edge of the film too.
    T90 isn't prone to light leaks except for the foam around the film window. Check if it's still there and is still firmly attached to the film door.
    I'm betting it's not.
    Once in a blue moon the film door latch panel comes loose - but you would have mentioned it.
    BrIEfly, that's it! Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Last edited by unclemack; 04-12-2010 at 06:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Definitely not the shutter
    Thanks for the response. I was kind of puzzled by this. I sent it in for a CLA and the internal battery change and putting on an external flash hook-up. With all the engineering on these cameras you would have thought that a few things like; MLU and a vertical exposure button would have been included in such a great camera.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Vertical release button was (maybe still is?) available which screws into the remote release socket.
    So the camera is away for CLA at the moment? If I'd known I wouldn't have spent time diagnosing the fault & replying...

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never heard of such a (proprietory) release button for vertical use. Any hints?

(There might even be the chance of firmly installing such second switch without diassembling the body, but that would be very, very delicate work.)
    Last edited by AgX; 04-12-2010 at 07:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The information is greatly appreciated. I checked the clasp that holds the door shut seemed to be the problem. Around the light seal frame there was a object keeping the door from being closed completely. I just took it after I read your post that it wasn't the shutter. Another thing was the cover to the remote cover was missing so that was probably a problem to. And I usually always send a camera for a CLA after I get them so there is no problems in the future of it. Thank-you for your input.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There definitely was a vertical release button accessory made by Canon for the the T90 that screwed into the cable switch socket because I used to sell them in my shop when the camera was current in 1986 the only year the T90 was made before autofocus SLR s killed it, I saw one on ebay last year that sold for megabucks. Canon said that a MLU was not necessary because the shutter was so vibration free, but I understand that one firm in the U.S.can modify them to provide the facility, and another company who can make the camera leave the film tongue out on rewind. You should be able to get a replacement remote switch cover from one of the used equipment dealers in the U.S., on ebay, or ask on the Yahoo Canon T90 group website http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CanonT90users/ if anyone has a spare, or knows where you can get one.
    I just want to warn you because if I remember rightly you have a Metz 45 CT1 flash, and mention that you are having a flash sync socket fitted that the cameras trigger voltage is only around 6V for the dedicated Canon 300 TL flash that was made for the T90, the 45 CT1 is very high about 180 to 200V I use a Wein Safe Sync http://www.weinproducts.com/safesyncs.htm with mine that fits in the hot shoe and drops the voltage to under 6V to avoid frying the electronics
    Last edited by benjiboy; 04-13-2010 at 02:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was also trying to find out what a new Canon T 90 was worth when they were new in 1986. I think the came with the 50mm f1.4 lens. Even Canon History doesn't supply that info. Thanks for the tip on the flash. I thought the voltage would be the same as my A1 & F1n cameras that I use it on. So basically I would have to still find a transformer to fit in the circuit before I could use it ? There is also another flash the Canon 580 ??? that is still supported by the T90 ? I have been looking into getting a 300TL and it looks quite promising on prices etc. Maybe I will just get the CLA on the camera as well as replacing the interior battery without doing the renovation of it. Thank-you for the input.
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 04-13-2010 at 03:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I ordered one of the hot shoe adapters that you recommended. The Metz flash is a fantastic unit to use. The flash covers a lot more area than a regular flash. I thought that the flash voltage would be the same on all Canon FD cameras. I know about the EOS cameras and the lower voltage.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin