Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,669   Posts: 1,481,754   Online: 938

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Cleaning marks on lenses

I've asked this in a different form on the rangefinder forum, but I'm interested in getting a broader view on this question. I have a lens with a fine web of cleaning marks on the front element, which I am considering returning for a refund.

What I want to know is whether there is a substantial group of people who use such lenses without problems or if such marks bother people as they do me. I figure for another $100 or so I can get a cleaner sample. But, the negatives from this lens look pretty good.

I'd be interested to hear comments on this .

Shooter
    35mm
    If I bought a lens advertised and priced as very good quality and received one with major cleaning marks I would return it immediately. However, I have bought a couple of lenses with major cleaning marks at a DEEP discount and do not see them in my photos, I am sure that at certain angles to the sun they would show up, and there are probably other problems that I don't notice. Still my ugly 105mm 1.8 with dings and cleaning marks is my favorite lens, I did get a great deal on it though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with Randy. If the lens is as advertised, and you got it at a good price, then use it. If you feel that you've been mislead, then do what you must to return it.

Believe me, cleaning marks don't bother the image at all except for maybe a bit of extra flare in some situations. A lens hood goes a long way to fix that and you should be using one anyway.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This may sound a bit apocryphal, but I remember reading somewhere that it was the custom for early photographers to lightly sandpaper the front element of their (new) portrait lenses before putting them to use.

Anyway, I do have some "legacy" lenses with a web of fine scratches on the front element. Some have unmentionable things lurking inside as well, but none of them appear to be affected by any of this in actual use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Galah View Post
    Anyway, I do have some "legacy" lenses with a web of fine scratches on the front element. Some have unmentionable things lurking inside as well, but none of them appear to be affected by any of this in actual use.
    Though, the only way to really tell if it makes a difference would be to compare the results with those from the same lens in pristine state (hoping sample variation doesn't play a role).

A loss of contrast often won't be noticed unless directly compared with a contrastier image.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    if you use a lens hood and the sun doesn't hit the fron element directly then you shouldn't have a problem-one of the best lenses we ever owned was a old Nikon 18mm that had a front element that looked like it had been sandblasted

It was also one of the sharpest lenses you could have owned......
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Cleaning marks on front element generally are not an issue other than slight loss of contrast.
    However, any marks on rear element will show up on the photo if stopped down.
    This is my rule of thumb for buying lenses ...
    Canon/Nikon/Contax/Mamiya/Olympus/Minolta/Praktica/Pentax/Pentacon/Zeiss/Yashica/Zorki/Kiev/Ricoh ...

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree with your comments, eSFotos.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Somethings "bother people as they do me" and considering you stated that the negatives look pretty good, you still are bothered by it. Spend the extra money, get a lens without cleaning marks, or you will always have some regret.

JMHO
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the replies. I paid a bit for it and now I believe there is a blob of some sort on the rear element that doesn't seem to come off with gentle brushing/blowing. I believe I'll return it and no worries cause it's from KEH! I will talk to them about it being more an "UG" than a "BGN."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin