Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,661   Posts: 1,481,598   Online: 900

Shooter
    Multi Format

Contax 139q meter coupling ring broken

Hello,

I have a Contax 139q that has a broken tab of the meter coupling ring. The camera doesn't meter properly as it never knows to what aperture the lens is set. I've called around and nobody repairs Contax SLRs.

Do you know someone who does?

Failing that, do you know where might I find a replacement meter coupling ring?

And, failing that also, do you suppose it's possible to glue in a replacement tab? I have another 139q from which I could take measurements and file down a piece of donor plastic. Choosing the right adhesive for the type of plastics used could be difficult, but I suppose I could mix some epoxy to ensure permanence.

I really would rather the camera be repaired professionally, of course. The second 139q needs a CLA of its own, too.

Many thanks.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have faced a similar problem with my Contax RTSII, where the internal mechanism that transmits the maximum aperture info to the metering system is out of whack. I had Pro Photo in Washington DC look at it, and Dick told me that there was nothing they could do -- and they're pretty good. I have heard that this place in NYC is excellent:

Nippon Photo Clinic Svc‎
    920 Broadway, New York, NY 10010-8018
    (212) 982-3177‎

If you do use Nippon, or find another repairer, please shoot me a PM to let me know. I haven't pursued the Nippon option myself because my RTS II is in storage in Amsterdam since last year. I'll get it (and all the rest of my gear) back this summer, at which point I'll contact Nippon myself.

Good luck.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think TOCAD was contracted to handle repairs after Kyocera withdrew, but I don't know if that's true any longer.

ToCAD America Inc.
    53 Green Pond Road, Suite 5
    Rockaway, NJ 07866
    Phone: 973-627-9600
    Fax: 973-664-2438
    Web Site: www.contaxusa.com or www.tocad.com

Another alternative is to check with KEH.com.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's possible that a replacement part can be extracted from a Yashica FX-D, but I cannot tell for sure because I never had the two cameras disassembled side by side. By the way, the repair manual for the 139Q can be found at Peter Robinson's website.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Please, they're not plastic they're engineering resin!
    Unfortunately they don't like to play well with others like glue or any kind. If you try epoxy drill a hole or two through the tab that you make, then matching holes in the ring. Insert a piece of wire(steel 0r brass) or plastic rod through the tab and the ring. That should give it the mechanical strength to work.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had the same problem with a Contax 137 MA. I got tired; found myself an M42 adaptor ( this makes the contact O.K.). I can use all my super Takumars.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for your replies.

I'll try to contact Nippon & ToCAD.

Regarding resins & epoxy, I would not be able to drill on such a small scale. Perhaps a repair shop exists that can take this task on, in which case it wouldn't matter that the camera is a Contax. Can you think of anyone who would be interested in the glueing job?

Thanks again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you in the US? If you are PM me.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin