Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,834   Online: 1118

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One thing I do is to store lens horizontally. I had few occasions where they were stored vertically. Some internal dust settled on lens surface and stuck!
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by la.triglia View Post
    Dear friends,
    I have a couple of 503cx with different lens, what I have to do during long stop periods to preserve their efficiency?
    Ciao
    Store them on B, uncocked, and pull them out and exercise the shutters every now and then. Every one of my friends who has a Hassy has had sticky shutters after not using them for long periods. Don't ask me why, but the problem goes away with exercise.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Two things I've read recently, cannot vouch for their accuracy:

1) Storing equipment with silica long-term can cause damage by drying out the internal grease that lubricates shutters etc.

2) Using the silica with colored moisture indicators can contribute to corrosion of delicate electronic and mechanical parts. Supposedly the substance added to effect the color change will off-gas under some conditions and it is very corrosive in this gaseous state. Can destroy delicate parts. This author advised using plain silica, not the indicator type if you use any.

These were two separate articles.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not arguing the point re: silica gel but I'd be curious why the authors of the article came to their conclusions.
    Every camera or other pricey bit of electronics sold in the last thirty years or more came packed with it. I can see some concern for the color changing indicator off gassing but have no personal experience.

Drying out the lube? There may be some trace amount of water in it but really? Properly lubricated machines don't rust.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    New equipment is fine packed with silica gel as it is not intended for long term storage. However, storing for a year or more adds a new perspective. Naturally it depends on the humidity of the surroundings. It should be obvious that dry, constant temperature situations are far better than damp, variable temperature conditions. Do not store in leather cases, they will hold any moisture next to the equipment but by far and away the best way is to put the gear through its paces at regular intervals.
    I'm into painting with light - NOT painting by numbers!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    store them at my place for free.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Swindles View Post
    New equipment is fine packed with silica gel as it is not intended for long term storage. However, storing for a year or more adds a new perspective. Naturally it depends on the humidity of the surroundings. It should be obvious that dry, constant temperature situations are far better than damp, variable temperature conditions. Do not store in leather cases, they will hold any moisture next to the equipment but by far and away the best way is to put the gear through its paces at regular intervals.
    Yeah, that was my take. Initial packaging for shipping and warehouse storage assumes the equipment will be moved from one type of environment to another several times, warehouse to warehouse, warehouse to truck, travel through wet/hot/cold/dry conditions, store shelves, etc. The silica helped neutralize the environmental changes inherent in shipping. Long-term storage in a climate controlled environment was a different matter. Besides the grease, the silica can dry out leather, leatherette, glues, etc.

Like I said, I'm not vouching for the argument, but it makes sense to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The manual I received with a recent purchase (used N90s) specifically addresses storage and makes no mention of silica gel. I always thought, rightly or wrongly, it (silica gel) is included with new equipment because most of it arrives here in the U.S. via container ships which means a fair about of time is spent in dock areas and on the ocean, both very humid environments. There's no mention of saving it in new packaging, just the usual "don't eat this."
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Drying out the lube? There may be some trace amount of water in it but really? Properly lubricated machines don't rust.
    Indeed not.
    But in lubricated machines that aren't used, the lubricants do turn hard (which you may call "dry out"), and the entire machine needs cleaning and relubrication before it can be used again.

They harden, not because water evaporates (and would be absorb by Silica gel - the gel does not extract moisture, merely absorbs it), but because the stuff itself changes over time. Lubricants age, and do that faster when left alone.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    What about the internal grease on the mechanisms? Should the shutter be exercised periodically? To keep the grease mullable? To keep it from turning to glue? And if so, how often should one activate the shutter release?
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin