Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,772   Posts: 1,484,346   Online: 1217

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images

Removing Old Yashica Covering

Awhile ago I got a Yashica FX3 for practically nothing, and of course it has the infamous bad covering. My May project is to re-cover it.

This is my first Yashica and that original covering is nasty! Is there an easier way to get it off rather than just picking at it and flaking it off? Wonder why they used this material (kinda rubbery?) instead of regular old leatherette.

Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It's held on by an adhesive, and it should be simple enough to work on a corner and pull it off in huge pieces.

Works best if you have a tool with a flat, blunt edge -- such as a metal fingernail file. Also, a pair of small needlenose pliers will help you grab the larger pieces.

Some lighter fluid will also help you clean up any residue. And you probably should replace those foam seals, as well.

By the way, I've re-covered several Japanese cameras, including two Contaxes (137MD and 139 Quartz), a Yashica FX-D, Minolta XD-11 and a tiny Ducati Sogno. The Minolta covering had shrunk like a cotton T-shirt in the dryer, while the others had simply worn away.

Here's the Minolta with a new covering from Aki-Asahi:

Last edited by elekm; 04-24-2010 at 06:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are full instructions on the Camera Leather website http://www.cameraleather.com/.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just use Actone as a solvent. Use a Q-tip as an applicator so it doesn't flow beyond the work area.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Heating with a hairdryer (careful, now!) would, 15 years ago, allow you to peel it off in one - easily - and with almost all the adhesive attached to the covering instead of the body.
    Can't really guarantee the technique today though, the plastic is 15 years older... but I think it will still work just fine.

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree with another poster that heating with a blow dryer carefully and working slowly will work best. It can be a slow process. Question. Why bother? If the camera works fine and you are using it I wouldn't worry about appearance. If you want to improve the looks to market the camera you may consider the fact that a used car is worth more with faded paint (the origional factory paint) than one that has been repainted. Just my 2 cents worth of probably useless feedback. HAHA!

ps
    I see a lot of input of using acetone for various needs but you need to be very carefull with it. If the camera has plastic top and bottom covers acetone will ruin them.

pounder35
    23+ years of camera repair

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    There are full instructions on the Camera Leather website http://www.cameraleather.com/.
    Did you mean specifically for Yashica? I can't find anything. I know how to re-cover a camera, I've ordered from them before. If you have a specific link, that would be appreciated!

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pounder35 View Post
    I agree with another poster that heating with a blow dryer carefully and working slowly will work best. It can be a slow process. Question. Why bother? If the camera works fine and you are using it I wouldn't worry about appearance. If you want to improve the looks to market the camera you may consider the fact that a used car is worth more with faded paint (the origional factory paint) than one that has been repainted. Just my 2 cents worth of probably useless feedback. HAHA!

ps
    I see a lot of input of using acetone for various needs but you need to be very carefull with it. If the camera has plastic top and bottom covers acetone will ruin them.

pounder35
    23+ years of camera repair
    Because the material on the Yashica is nasty .. its not leatherette, its like a rubbery stuff that flakes off and is very sticky on my hands. It really doesn't have anything to do with appearance .. well ok, ya, it looks nasty too. Hard to use a camera that feels gross in my hands. I believe this material is pretty specific to these older Yashicas, from what I've read online. I'd rather get rid of it and put on a nice leather covering. Doesn't have anything to do with market value, I'm not selling it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mine is used as a beater. I rubbed the rubber stuff off and painted the underlying fabric with leather/vinyl dye. Took about five minutes and has held up 2 years so far.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by 5stringdeath View Post
    Because the material on the Yashica is nasty .. its not leatherette, its like a rubbery stuff that flakes off and is very sticky on my hands. It really doesn't have anything to do with appearance .. well ok, ya, it looks nasty too. Hard to use a camera that feels gross in my hands. I believe this material is pretty specific to these older Yashicas, from what I've read online. I'd rather get rid of it and put on a nice leather covering. Doesn't have anything to do with market value, I'm not selling it.
    I agree with you. Once that top layer wears away, it's pretty gross underneath.

As I mentioned, I had a Yashica that had the same covering, I think. So I simply pulled off the old stuff, which I outlined earlier, and replaced it with new material. I really like the coverings from Aki-Asahi, so I used that.

Nothing against cameraleather.com, but my experience with them has varied from very good to terribly slow to having to remind him several times what I ordered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin