Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,266   Posts: 1,660,623   Online: 789

Shooter
    35mm

Aperture Question.

I noticed that when I change the aperture on a lens, that the aperture doesn't actually change until I press the shutter button. Is this normal?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    If you are shooting a SLR, then yes, this is normal. The lens stays at its maximum aperture until you press the shutter so that you have the maximum amount of light through the view finder to focus. Check to see if your camera has a depth of field preview button if you want to check the effect of a smaller aperture in the view finder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For many SLRs, particularly newer ones, it is perfectly normal. This allows you to see a bright image in the viewfinder, making it easier to focus and compose. Many cameras configured this way also have DOF preview buttons so that you can momentarily look at the effect of the aperture in the viewfinder and quickly return to the brighter view.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sadly, I can remember when this was a new feature .

It is called "open aperture metering".

It can be contrasted with "stop-down metering".

If you use your camera with some specialized accessories, like a bellows for close focussing, you may find that you have to use it in "stop-down metering" mode.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    MC lenses. Ah. Those were the days.

OH LORD!
    Thank you.
    -CW

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    Okay. Thanks for the fast replies. Just wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong with my camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Nope. All operating as per specs. Just the DOF preview function.
    Thank you.
    -CW

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Chris,

Nothing is stopping you from setting aside your LF equipment and picking up at 35mm camera again.

Steve
    Oh, I think I remember where I put them. Now, lemme see . . .
    Thank you.
    -CW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is what is meant by automatic aperture. The "auto" that you see on many older lenses was for this feature. It was a big deal when this feature was introduced! With a manual aperture, you do not have this, thus you must open up the lens all the way if you want the brightest image in the viewfinder, and then stop down before you actually shoot the picture. Some lenses (such as Pentax 67, Mamiya M645, or Pentax M42 mount) have a switch that allows you to select manual or automatic aperture.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin