Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,182   Online: 1129

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Images

One really long scratch

My 35mm (N65) is putting a scratch on almost every frame. I'ts one long one that is on the base side and runs consistently along the top and does affect the image.

At first I thought it may be happening when I load film onto a reel, but I don't think its the case. I've used canned air and a brush hoping it was some hard dust or something.

Any ideas?

Happy Days
    You can't be lost if you don't care where you are.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you by any chance you one of those gizmos/lead catchers? the one where you pull the film out of the canister rather than opening the canister up? That could be a problem as well.

If it is the Camera, Apex Camera repair in Walnut Creek is excellent. They are right off the fwy. Not a very long drive from you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Could be a rough spot on pressure plate if it happens identically on all films.
    I'm into painting with light - NOT painting by numbers!

Images
    Thanks Aggie,

I open the can and remove the spool. But when the tension is realeased in the spool/film after its removed from the canister could that be causing it? Maybe? Hope that makes sense.

Happy Days

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would also suggest checking the pressure plate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did you open/ break open the film cartridge or did you pull out the film through the light trap? One particle of "dust" trapped in the felt of the light trap can ruin the whole film. Moreover, it can happen during rewinding of the film in this case.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    you can run a junk roll through it then take it out and open it, see if the scratch is there. That would rule out your dev process as the culprit..

Images
    I always break the canister open. I've cleaned the pressure plate and have looked at it with a loupe to see if there is any weirdness and it looks ok to me. The scratch is always in the same place and is on the base side near the top of the frame. So I don't think its me putting the film on the reel or something in the light trap, now I truly believe its the camera since I've thought about it a bit more after getting some ideas from everyone. I guess I'll have a friend look at it then maybe take to a repair shop sooner or later. Thanks everyone.

Happy Days

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you were to take that junk roll and load it in, fire a few frames off, then open it without moving the film you may see where the scratch stops and get an idea where the burr is.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    if you're married take one of your wife's nylons and run it over the surface. you don't need the whole stocking just a piece. That will snag and you will know exactly where it is. If your fingernail doesn't remove it, take a toothpick and work at it. Eventually the toothpick should wear or break it off. Then just spray or vaccuum it out well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin