Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,082   Online: 868

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Modern Speedlite flash on an AE-1

Maybe this should be in "lighting", but since it's basically a question about compatibility with the body I'm trying here.

I have an AE-1 that seems to be in full working order, and a newer Speedlite flash intended for use with the EOS cameras (a 430EX). From the AE-1 manual, it appears that the camera can be used with the Speedlites of its own era in auto mode (shutter priority at 1/60 or slower). Will it work that way with the newer flash as well, or am I finally going to be forced into learning about the mysteries of manual flash?

Thanks

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    You will of course have to manually set the shutter speed to 1/60. You won't have any auto flash mode as the 430EX doesn't have a non TTL auto mode that uses a sensor on the flash. You have to use the flash in manual mode with variable power from 1/1 to 1/64 power in full stop increment.
    There is no thing mystery about manual flash. It takes some time for every shot to estimate distance from flash to subject and then set the aperture according.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin