Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,930   Online: 860

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

My First 35mm SLR :D (Pentax ME Super)

Hey guys, so a bunch of you have probably seen my other thread about the camera I was planning on buying "Pentax MZ-10". Well, I guess good things come to those who wait . Yesterday I got an email about a Pentax ME Super that someone had for sale, so today I went to check it out. Guess who now owns an ME Super?

For $60 I got the body, in surprisingly good condition; a 50mm prime lens fstop 2.0; a 28mm lens fstop 2.8 and a clear lens filter marked 1A.
    I think this might be a better deal than the MZ-10, hopefully.

Any advice on what I should do now? Maintenance tips, etc.

Anyways, thanks to everyone who helped me with how to look over cameras, lens tips, etc. You guys are the best.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A nice machine; handles nicely, especially with the winder attached. No DoF preview and no exposure lock on AE are its main drawbacks. Well, the shutter speed buttons are kinda funky, but I've gotten used to it. The viewfinder's very nice-large, bright and clear.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Check the seals on the door. If they are mushy at all, plan on replacing them. Jon Goodman, interslice on ebay-
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Pre-Cut-Intersli...item19bb59423a

If you get along with it, plan on sending it out for an overhaul. Eric will replace the seals at the same time. ~$70 and you'll have a great camera for years.
    http://pentaxs.com/index.html

I've found the ME Super metering to be very good at default. Once I found the proper EI setting, rolls come out amazingly consistent. The ME Super and a Pentax-M 28mm f2.8 is my basic street film camera. Wonderful feel, wonderful viewfinder, consistent, small. I even like its muffled mirror slap!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know much about Pentax, but good luck with it!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh yeah! The 28 on it is a great combo, and without winder will slip into a coat pocket easily. Some find the camera too small without winder, but I think it's fine.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quick question: when I look though the viewfinder, it seems that the area surrounding the outer circle is not as clear as the very center circle, is it dirty or is that how it's supposed to be?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, the outer area is a 'ground glass' look,with a bit of grain to it. There is a central split image circle, a collar of microprisms, and then the ground glass.

Shooter
    35mm
    The ME Super is a great camera, imo, also my first SLR.

The winder is nice to have, but I like advancing the film manually better.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
    Yes, the outer area is a 'ground glass' look,with a bit of grain to it. There is a central split image circle, a collar of microprisms, and then the ground glass.
    Haha okay, thanks.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by addies View Post
    Quick question: when I look though the viewfinder, it seems that the area surrounding the outer circle is not as clear as the very center circle, is it dirty or is that how it's supposed to be?
    The outer part of the screen is a matte fresnel screen with a split-image and microprism collar in the center. The microprism and split-image area are clearer. Besides using the microprism and split-image area for focusing, you can also use the matte surface like a ground-glass screen, this is useful when you are using slow lenses that black out the microprism and split-image area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin