Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,711   Posts: 1,482,957   Online: 963

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images

Why does everyone like DOF preview buttons?

Even on cameras that I've owned that have them, I never use them. Personally I find them pretty useless. Yet I see lots of discussions on different bodies here where people say "only thing wrong with it is it lacks a DOF preview."

So I'm just wondering how people put them to practical use.

I might add that I've shot with a lot of rangefinders in my days (so no DOF buttons) and that I shoot a lot of wide angle work (often at high fstops) so I'm pretty aware of, and quite like, a lot of depth of field.

Ergo, this post is prejudicial

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use them all the time. Especially shots where I juxtapose background and foreground focus.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use the DOF preview on my Medium Format quite a bit. However, on my AE-1, I hardly ever use it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Balance between in and out of focus is one of the creative tools at our disposal.
    Why let it go to waste?

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I guess my main problem with them has been, in general (and maybe its just the ones I've used) they darken parts of the focusing screen .. and I can't really tell anything about the DOF beyond what I already know in my head -- or what I can tell by looking at the DOF scale on the lens (which I'll admit I rarely ever did.) I guess I already have a general idea what 5.6 or 1.8 is going to look like at a given focal point .... so I haven't ever found the DOF preview to be any more accurate than my imagination.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    Balance between in and out of focus is one of the creative tools at our disposal.
    Why let it go to waste?
    So are you saying you can't possibly do this without a preview?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, it would darken the focusing screen, since it is stopping down the diaphragm. Usually, going from f1.8 to f5.6, I ignore the DOF button. I usually will only use it if it is a very bright day and I am using a higher fstop.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    So it may be true they are more useful on longer lenses? Also, I know WHY it darkens the focusing screen, I just never found that function to be particularly useful visually.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah, I do wish there was a way to see a DOF preview without it going dim. I find them more useful at higher fstops because I am usually trying to reach out and get something distant in focus. If I use it and then squint, I can usually tell if its in focus or not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find them most useful when I am trying to evaluate how out of focus different parts of the foreground and background are.

A highlight in the background or foreground which is pleasingly blurred at the maximum aperture of f/2.8 may still be sufficiently blurred at f/4.0 but by f/5.6 or f/8.0 it may show sufficient contrast and detail to distract from the rest of the image. The depth of field preview helps me evaluate this.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin