Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,731   Posts: 1,515,256   Online: 825

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Autfocus doesn't focus where I want it to. I enjoy watching the plane of focus shift slowly.
    Fast frame rates are good for sports but sadly I have to put my A-1 down and grab my 5D Mark II for sports.
    I never use Program Mode on any of my cameras
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In-camera reflected light meters. IMHO, these being treated as gold is the number one hindrance to well-exposed film.

Auto focus only stinks if it is foolishly expected to be a true auto focus...which it never, ever will be until the camera is wired into our brains. When you use it within its sensible limits, as motorized focus, it is an OK feature, IMO. This means that you tell it what to focus on, at all times, and the only thing the feature does is do the actual focusing for you. I do not see how any use of it that involves automatic focusing point selection would be worthwhile.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    AF is nice to have on a 35mm slr. I switched to it because my girlfriend won an AF 28mm to 300mm zoom lens when it first came out. Since it would not work on my Minolta X-700, I bought a Nikon. It is especially good for fast moving targets. On the other hand when it cannot find enough contrast I switch to manual focus. Rarely, rarely have I had a problem of loosing a photo because the AF selected the wrong object and I did not catch it.

On my Hasselblad, I do not have AF and I do not miss it.

The most overrated feature available for the Hasselblad is the d-back. They are too expensive, they do not cover the color gamut like film, and did I mention that they were too expensive. Do you know how much film I could shoot and have custom processed and custom printed for $30k to $50k US? Plus a new computer, a raid memory system, software, lots of time, crappy ink jet printers, ...

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sometimes the photographer is over rated.
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wclark5179 View Post
    Sometimes the photographer is over rated.
    It is okay to speak for yourself. Don't be shy.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Face detection. Multi-segment metering (which somehow gives the impression that different parts of the scene can be exposed differently). Program mode, which in many ways is similar to the early trap-needle autoexposure systems.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another vote for autofocus, program mode and high frame rates...

Yes, it also depends greatly on the kind of photography I do and am interested in (though I think program mode reallly has no redeeming qualities)....
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Silly me! I forgot to specifically mention TTL flash metering! However, it goes without saying based on my previous answer. Any time a directly-read in-camera reflected meter is used as the primary way to establish ones exposures, it is bad news in my book.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think multi-pattern metering is the most over-rated feature.
    I would prefer people use CWA or spot before moving to evaluative/multi-pattern or whatever else it is and can be called.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think auto anything is overrated. I've noticed a lot of photography students where I used to go to school relied on their autofocus and auto exposure and were lost without them. One time in my studio photography class, a couple of the students were working by theirselves and used the pictures on the LCD screen of their digital cameras to adjust the lighting instead of using the handheld light meter. Later, I found out they used the lcd screen because they didnt know how to use the handheld meter...

I think film can be overrated, too, but that's a bit of a subjective observation. "X film is superior to Y film because of {enter arguments about film curves and resolution and whatever}" arguments were the first thing that came to my mind as I read this thread

*prepares for backlash about the film can be overrated statement*
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin