Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,125   Online: 831

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanline View Post
    I recently bought a Rollei Sl35ME and I had been looking for some time for a Rollei 35mm SLR. Now that I have one, finding lenses for it is proving to be hard. So I thought, Ok I'll be a Leica R3 or R4 - but there are no lenses to be found from KEH and the like (not a fan of EvilBAY). I want to log in to a site, do a search and buy a camera and lens - it seems suddenly a lot of gear has disappeared.

Where are all the Rollei, Contax and Leica bodies and lenses?
    You need to give Jim Kuehl, in Des Moines, IA a call. He's the best, in my experience, for leica. Not an advert; just a statement of fact.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Did your Rollei SL35ME come with any lens? You might want to fully test out the body to make sure it is in good shape before buying lenses for it.

I have a SL35M (made in Singapore) body with erratic shutter speeds that would cost more to fix than what it's worth. I recently bought a SL35E and then a SL35 to replace my problem M body. Both of the replacement bodies (also made in Singapore) had problems from the moment they arrived.

I finally bought an early German-made SL35 that had been sitting in the seller's drawer for 30 years. I tested it out and it works perfectly. This means that I can finally use all the excellent Zeiss lenses that I've acquired through the years... all bought used for about $100 each... back when you could still find them cheap!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianW View Post
    Did your Rollei SL35ME come with any lens? You might want to fully test out the body to make sure it is in good shape before buying lenses for it.

I have a SL35M (made in Singapore) body with erratic shutter speeds that would cost more to fix than what it's worth. I recently bought a SL35E and then a SL35 to replace my problem M body. Both of the replacement bodies (also made in Singapore) had problems from the moment they arrived.

I finally bought an early German-made SL35 that had been sitting in the seller's drawer for 30 years. I tested it out and it works perfectly. This means that I can finally use all the excellent Zeiss lenses that I've acquired through the years... all bought used for about $100 each... back when you could still find them cheap!
    Yes it came with a lens. So far two rolls are perfect - but yes, I am aware of the problems with these. I had a few in the 1980's - personally I never had a bad one, but I knew about them. Most likely I will grab a Leica R3/R4/R5 in the near future... the M series are generally too well used in my price range.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you don't like buying on eBay, finding lenses for the Rollei 35 SLRs will be difficult. Not impossible, but difficult, as the Rollei 35 SLRs never enjoyed a large market share in the U.S., as far as I can tell.

There are three primary lines of lenses: Carl Zeiss designs (first as Carl Zeiss-branded and later as Rollei-branded Zeiss designs), Schneider-Kreuznach and less-costly Rolleinars (reputedly made by Mamiya).

I've noticed lately that Rolleinars are being offered for high prices.

My experience has been great Zeiss lenses -- horrible bodies. I'm currently shooting with a SL 35 E with a f/1.4 50mm Planar and a f/4 18mm Distagon. A really great lens is the f/2.8 85mm Sonnar.

And by the way, does anyone with a Canon camera shoot with a Canon lens?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    This thread opened my eyes. I have a EOS 1000 Analog with a 35 80 lens and it made me hate photography , I have no option to buy another camera and I stuck to it.
    Now I know what to do , place a old Zeiss , Leitz lens front of it.

Thank you ,

Umut

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "My experience has been great Zeiss lenses -- horrible bodies..."

I have to agree with Mike here. I have a 35mm Distagon, 50mm Planar, 135 Tele-Tessar & 135 Sonnar, and a 200mm Tele-Tessar. Three were purchased for $100 each or less and a couple were given to me free. It's hard to imagine finding lenses of this quality at this price with either the Contax or Leica SLR systems.

Unfortunately I had a hard time finding a reliable body to use these lenses on. It wasn't until my very recent purchase of a German-made SL35 that my dilemma was resolved.

If you have a good working Rollei SL35ME and a limited budget, I would be patient and see if there are still deals to be had on the fine Zeiss optics for this system... although you may now be competing against Canon shooters that have the Rollei adapter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin