Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,527   Posts: 1,572,399   Online: 1117

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hard to find lens for Canon FD... anybody?? Voigtlander SL in FD Mount

Hi all,

So a ways back, I did a search for Canon FD pancake lenses. It's generally known that the smallest FD lens is the 50mm 1.8 FDn, but there is a smaller and much rarer one. The Voigtlander SL 40mm f/2 Ultron.

http://www.cameraquest.com/Voigt%20SL.htm

This link will show you it, and then tell you it's discontinued. I've looked for it, it's never on eBay, and I don't know if I've even seen an example on flickr. (as there's an EF version, searching is confounded)

Anyways, does anyone have one or has anyone even seen one? I can't afford it probably, but I'm just curious how much it's worth and where I could theoretically, someday, buy one. It seems like a sweet lens. Also, I'd love to see examples of it's imaging-capabilities!

Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've never quite understood the fascination with pancake lenses - is it purely a weight/size thing? Most of the FD bodies are big and heavy enough to start with, that adding a normal sized lens on them doesn't seem like too much more.

Having said that, part of the reason is that the 50/1.8 FDn is such an utterly piece of crap lens. I can certainly see the appeal of this 40/2 lens, regardless of its size and weight! Good luck on your quest, I'm sure you'll turn one up eventually. One trick to finding obscure stuff on ebay: search the ebay sites of the countries where more of the item were sold. So a few European country ebay searches might turn one of these up sooner than just US eBay searches. Your login info will be the same. Of course you might need to translate some stuff, and you need to make sure the seller is willing to ship to the US, but it's amazing what you can find with such wider searches...

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's a good idea. The eBay part of it.

For one, the 50/1.8 is by no means an "utter piece of crap". I mean, it's no brilliant piece of optical genius, but I've taken many pictures with it that are indistinguishable from my 50mm 1.4 SSC. But I digress....

I think a pancake would be pretty sweet just because I could put it under my jacket w/o having a chest boner (sorry) sticking out. Plus, it sounds like a pretty slick lens. I mean, 40mm, f2, aspherical.... c'mon!

And on an AE-1 Program it'd be a pretty small/lightweight setup. However, based on the EF prices, I could probably find something better to spend $500 on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All you need is a Nikon, they've still got the SL ll versions available.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know.... I wish my dad had bought a Nikon in the 70's..... then I wouldn't have been started along the *dark path of Canon*. However Canon FD lenses sell for cheaper than Nikon's since they can't be used on their modern DSLR's.

Though you raise a good point, when I'm ready to drop $500 on a lens, I can probably afford a $100 body to go along with it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    NONE of the FD cameras are small enough to bother with a pancake lens. Get a little rangefinder or a P&S if you want something in your pocket.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Well that's like... your opinion man.." - the Dude (Big Lebowski)

....just joshing.... Now, although you raise a good point, I asked this question not because I'm crazy about getting a pancake lens, but mainly because I'm curious where all these lenses are.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It's a cult thing. Optically, many are a Tessar design, because they need to be compact. Nothing wrong with a Tessar, but beyond that, they're nothing special optically.

I shoot on occasion with the Pentax 40mm pancake lens, and it's a decent lens. I like much better the photos taken with the standard f/2.0 50mm.

And on the Pentax K10D, the lens is difficult to use because the focusing ring is just 1/4-inch high, maybe less.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Buy up the cheap FD lens while you can. There are now DSLRS that can use them (Panasonic Gx series).

Shooter
    35mm
    erm Change your camera and get a Hexanon 40mm f1.8 pancake lens.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin