Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,767   Online: 950

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AE1 issues

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it has just started to be a problem (after years or reliability) then I think that it probably IS the meter playing up. If you can get another for the price of repairing the one you have (or even better *cheaper*) with a meter that works correctly - go for it.

Will save you an awful lot of heartache.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for explaining why the camera meter is off from my freshly reconditioned Weston.I took the risk and trusted the Weston when using it with my AE-1.When the film comes back from the lab we'll see if I have a clue.................

Shooter
    35mm
    You might also try comparing the meter readings from your AE1 and your Weston with a camera with which you know you get good results.
    ~Dom

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The AE-1 is the only film camera I own with a meter.I'm trusting in the latitude of Delta 100,the meter and what I've learned.Like I said earlier we'll see.It's B&W,there's filter factors,water and end of day lighting involved.I didn't pick an easy subject for the trial.I am aiming for a certain result.It's a test I'll learn regardless of outcome.Nice images?We'll see..............

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    And while you're at it.... don't forget to "bracket" those exposures!
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by marylandphoto View Post
    That is not what I'm saying. I understand that they will change for light/dark areas, I'm just saying that mine is wildly off, changing many stops at just the slightest change in tone. This probably is just my camera. It's lasted me forever, just need a new one.
    You did not say that. What you said is that it changes two or three stops when you point it at very light or very dark areas.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling1 View Post
    And while you're at it.... don't forget to "bracket" those exposures!
    Nah not this time.I wanted to see what happens.I picked a tough subject in difficult lighting with a busy background.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From what I seem to recall from when I had an AE-1 Program years ago, if the DoF lever is engaged before mounting a lens it can play havoc with exposure. Just a thought.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    You did not say that. What you said is that it changes two or three stops when you point it at very light or very dark areas.
    He/She did say that :
    Quote Originally Posted by marylandphoto View Post
    I've never had this with any camera of age purchased before. It seems to be extremely sensitive to really light or dark areas. I know that this happens when metering areas that are far from grey, but the camera seems to adjust sometimes 2 or 3 stops in either direction versus a neutral colored area.
    Try to understand the whole post before cutting it into pieces and presume. The fact that he had other cameras to compare should bring some idea that at least he knows what lightmeter does.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin