Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,453   Online: 707

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images

Best 35mm FD lens for Canon

So in your collective infinite wisdom, what is the best 35mm prime lens I could stick on my Canon AE-1 .... Between all my different camera bodies, I am lacking a good 35mm lens so figured I'd stick one on the old girl, as she's freshly CLA'd and wanting work

Canon or 3rd party, doesn't matter to me .... I love good contrasty lenses though.

Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    canon 35mm f2 in any of it's versions is hard to beat. The earlier ones are supposedly sharper. I had a late one which was absolutely stunning. In my mind you can't go wrong with any of them.
    Regards
    Mads

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I had the FDn 35/2 and recommend it very highly. It was one of my favorite lenses when I had it. I sold it only because I wasn't shooting so much 35mm any more and was using medium format for the kinds of subjects I'd otherwise shoot with the 35/2.

Eventually I got a Zeiss 35/2 Distagon in ZS (M42) mount, which I think is an even better lens (sharper, great bokeh, though the FD 35/2 also has nice bokeh), if that's in your budget, and you'll be able to use it with almost any 35mm SLR camera body as well as the ones that we don't talk about on APUG.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Images
    I have a 35/2 breach lock with the concave front element. It is super sharp, and the contrast is super high across the aperture range. For me it is actually has too much contrast for some general work, in that at larger apertures it has such a 3d popping effect that the isolated subject looks cut out and glued on. Really, a precision tool that must be used with care and consideration with much potential.

I would like to try one of the newer 35/2 in bayonet, thinking it might have the smoother look of the 50/1.4.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Cool thanks .. I actually have access to borrow a 35/2 so I'll check it out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcd View Post
    I have a 35/2 breach lock with the concave front element. It is super sharp, and the contrast is super high across the aperture range. For me it is actually has too much contrast for some general work, in that at larger apertures it has such a 3d popping effect that the isolated subject looks cut out and glued on. Really, a precision tool that must be used with care and consideration with much potential.

I would like to try one of the newer 35/2 in bayonet, thinking it might have the smoother look of the 50/1.4.
    I have all three of these lenses and the later FDn 35mm f2 indeed has the smoother look of the 50mm f1.4, the original breech lock chrome nosed 35mm f2 concave front element Thorium lens would have been an "L"lens I.M.O but pre dates them by quite a few years, mine as made in 1971.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I have all three of these lenses and the later FDn 35mm f2 indeed has the smoother look of the 50mm f1.4, the original breech lock chrome nosed 35mm f2 concave front element Thorium lens would have been an "L"lens I.M.O but pre dates them by quite a few years, mine as made in 1971.
    Does FD"n" mean "new" as in the all black lenses?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, the new type bayonet mount ones with the plastic barrels.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Great, that's the one I'm going to borrow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you can swing it, find an FD 35/2 (the newer black one) in the best condition possible. You'll be glad you did; it's a fine lens to use. I too, used an AE-1 for years and years. Recently, I found an immaculate F-1N (w/AE finder). The 35/2 is lens I use most often with it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin