Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,592   Online: 986

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Cleaning Focusing Screen

Hi Guys- I have a Canon AT-1 here. The foam that the mirror hits when it opens to the top of the camera is falling off. I had the camera upside down and it blew into the focusing screen and got smudged. Now it seems stained. How can I clean the focusing screen back to normal?

Thanks,

Patrick
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    I messed up my Nikon FM's screen and I tried everything except steel wool to get rid of the gunk. No luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Would a bleach/water solution put on a q-tip do damage or would it turn the black foam residue white?
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try using methanol. Most other solvents/cleaners won't dissolve urethane. The best cleaners for urethane are a mixture of solvents -- one is an alcohol and the other a halogenated solvent, but these may attack the screen.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    use methanol/alcohol on a q tip first -use a rolling action to remove the black gunk as best possible..

it will still leave a mark on the screen, but this will be the best you cna do...only way to clean a screen correctly is to remove it and then wash it in detergent, followed by a final rinse in wetting agent..hopefully you can then get a dry screen (from my experience in camera repair I had a 60/40 success rate)..

And I'd forget removing the screen from a AT-1 - first you need to remove the top, then uncouple the wire that runs from the ISO dial to the shutter speed dial, then remove the main flex (without cracking it-a real problem on these as the flex is usually very brittle after so many years)..then remove the prism, and remove the screen form the prism....

Not a fun job!
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin