Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,769   Online: 1046

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

md12 doesnt release film tension on fe2

Playing around today I shot an entire roll of 36 exposures and at the 36th frame the motor drive tried to advance the film more instead of releasing. This left me stuck half-cocked and I had to go into a darkroom to pop the canister and relieve the film tension so I could rewind the film. I thought the md12 auto-slacked the film when you finished a roll? Am I not understanding the operation of the drive?

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't believe it does automatically release the film. I believe it's acting normally. Just turn the MD-12 off, and rewind the film normally.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Been a while since I used mine, but don't you have to slide the film release catch up then rewind via crank on camera?

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, always engage film release before rewinding.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    Been a while since I used mine, but don't you have to slide the film release catch up then rewind via crank on camera?
    yeah always, and that was the first thing I tried but with the camera half cocked it won't release.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    half cocked meaning I can turn the manual film advance about 3/4 of the way to stop and then the film, being at the end of the roll and taught across the film plane, will not advance anymore and the release will not allow you to rewind the camera at this state. When I finish the roll the motor just kind of goes BRRRRRrrrrrr and you can kind of hear how it is trying to get the film to advance more.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The "rrrr" sound is normal. What you may've done is just wound so far that now the rewind button is working against the film tension. Dealt with that on Sunday with my Nikomat FTn. Grabbed a pen and used that to depress the button. Once I did that, I was able to rewind the film. You'll need to remove the MD-12 to do this, of course.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, FM2n, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 24/2.8 AI, 50/2 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.4 S, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 135/3.5 QC

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    hm. I will give this roll a try again. Thanks for the help everyone!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin