Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,973   Posts: 1,558,725   Online: 751

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Pretty simple. If you don't like the sale terms or prices, don't bid or buy. And more power to anyone who can sell used dreck, fairly represented, at whatever price an informed and willing buyer will pay.

Don't really see an issue here.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Couldn't agree more. They are selling these items at those prices because they can. Somebody out there buys it.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSeb View Post
    Pretty simple. If you don't like the sale terms or prices, don't bid or buy. And more power to anyone who can sell used dreck, fairly represented, at whatever price an informed and willing buyer will pay.

"Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John Lawrence is right, there's a very dodgy UK seller who sells at inflated prices often 2-3 times higher than reputable photo dealers who would give a guarantee as well. Usually this seller has around 1,200 items for sale at any one time, but that has been as high as 2000 in the past. His descriptions are short and he also contravenes the spirit of Ebay policies by having two accounts one for selling another for buying.

I'd add that sellers like this prey on the potential new users to Large format etc, and by swamping the site with so many adverts give a false impression of prices.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I say caveat emptor when buying on Ebay. I've bought plenty of items on Ebay and for the most part, the item is what's described on the listing. I always check the feedback on the seller. I don't buy from anyone with a rating of 90% or lower. If you have any questions, shoot he seller an email. No need to rant. Why frustrate yourself over some sellers? Save your energy to do analog photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSeb View Post

What he said. It's up to YOU to read the auction carefully, and do your homework. If you don't like something there, whatever it is, close the page and move on. Can't be easier than that.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    35mm
    Most eBay sellers are honest IMO though many are clueless about cameras.

Many camera-clueless sellers are not aware of the importance of the condition
    of a camera and couldn't determine the condition even if they are. They find
    a camera cheap, have no clue as to its working condition and "research its
    value" by searching on eBay for the highest price that model recently sold
    for. This, they think, is its value and that's what they list it at. Some even
    more clueless sellers just look for the highest asking prices of similar cameras
    regardless of whether or not they sold at that price and this, they think, is
    its value. Since they have no clue if the camera works nor what camera
    buyers look for and care about, their prices are unrealistic. And, because
    many of them end up getting returns on their cameras they list them as
    "sold as is, no returns."

At a recent swap meet I saw a 4x5 Graphic View rail camera in shabby
    condition with a so-so lens and nonworking shutter. The seller was
    asking $375 for it. He said "our research indicates the camera is worth
    $450 so this is a bargain." When I got home I searched eBay and found
    one mint condition Graphic View outfit with 2 nice, working lenses (wide and
    normal) at an asking price of $450. It was the highest asking price for
    that camera on eBay at that moment so I suspect the swap meet seller
    saw the same listing and that was his "research" -- he saw one camera
    with the same model name at that price so he figured that's what it was
    worth even though his camera was unusable without a shutter repair which
    he was unaware of. And, if I tried to explain it to him I'd probably just make
    him angry.

These guys go to estate sales and yard sales and buy up cameras if they're
    cheap. Then they "research their value" by looking them up on eBay. They
    have no clue if the camera works, if the lens is full of fungus or anything
    else about its condition.

Often times they eventually give up selling cameras because of all the returns
    and angry buyers but some other goofball comes along to take their place
    and does the same thing.

There are lots of camera bargains available on eBay, you just have to
    determine if the seller is or isn't knowledgeable about what he's selling
    and bid (or don't bid) accordingly.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I totally understand if a seller doesnt know anything about cameras and doesnt know what they have.
    But these vendors have thousands of sales and obviously know Ebay.. They can know absolutely how much that item will sell for just by looking at the recent sales.

"Hmm, brand new in box examples sell for $100. I will put this lump of crap online with a BIN for $150"
    I cant help thinking that they are wasting their money in listing fees.. But then again, all they need is 1 out of 100 or so listings to sell to make their money back.

And what I am starting to see is exorbant prices for things knowingly advertised as non-functioning.

"Petri FTEE" for repair. sellers description: the winder is broken and may have other issues. Sold as-is no returns. $200
    (recent sales for this camera have been in the $10 range) Am I missing something??
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    With so many people shopping ebay, it seems a much more worthwhile to me to start an item with a low bid.
    Perhaps what you paid for the item. And then if you really do have something valuable, it will be bid up to its real value.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I recently sold a few photographic items on ebay, and I almost always do the " no return" thing. As John said, I'm not here to let you try before you buy. I always start at a more than reasonable price, and I am always very honest about my description of the pieces condition. If it's not working, it's listed for parts or repair. I did recently miss a bit of fungus on a lens I sold, and even though I had the no return policy plainly listed, I refunded $25 of the selling price to the buyer. Look, if you're buying on the "bay" you need to do the research, and buy wisely. It can be easy to get caught up in the whole "auction" excitement, and that's when you pay more than you should. Been there, done that.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I always sell with a "no return" policy simply because I'm trying to clean up and make a little more room. I see nothing wrong with it and I always start my auctions at 99 cents with no reserve and accurate shipping. If someone doesn't like the "no return" policy they can skip my auctions and someone else will get a bargain. I've never had a complaint.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin