Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,697   Posts: 1,482,550   Online: 929

Shooter
    35mm

Yet ANOTHER F100 question...

I've got a chance to get a used Nikon F100 from my local real live, none-genuine-without-this-signature camera shop, and I am sorely tempted (as usual). I do have a question about the rewind fork. I seem to have read that the rewind fork in the camera is a part just waiting to break. Is this the case, or is it an urban legend, or somewhere in between ?
    If it does break is it a major problem to get it fixed?

Thanks to all who reply.

With best regards,

Stephen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are two types of rewind fork.
    Here's the picture of them. (scroll almost all the way to the bottom)

http://www.camerahobby.com/Review-F100.htm

Assuming you are buying used, repair cost at Nikon will probably run you good majority of your purchase price. I'd look for one with updated fork. (and that's what I did)
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I bought an F100 right after they were released and within a a few weeks, my rewind fork had sheared off during a rewind cycle. I brought it in to Penn Camera and they said I'd probably have to pay for the repair, but Nikon fixed it without a charge. There are some repairs that are done free even past the warranty period and the rewind fork *should* be one of them--although I don't know if that's the case.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I own three of these cameras. Never encountered this problem after thousands of rolls of film shooting on commercial assignments. All three cameras still rewinding like the day I bought them.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Nikon is very good with repairs. I dropped my lens and screwed up the alignment and they fixed it for free. I imagine a new rewind fork would be free as well, if you don't mind the time it takes.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    There are two types of rewind fork.
    Here's the picture of them. (scroll almost all the way to the bottom)

http://www.camerahobby.com/Review-F100.htm

Assuming you are buying used, repair cost at Nikon will probably run you good majority of your purchase price. I'd look for one with updated fork. (and that's what I did)
    This article also states that you should look for a serial number later than 21654XX. They supposedly have the more robust fork.

Shooter
    35mm
    The rewind fork problem is greatly overexagerated. My camera repair tech, has only seen one go bad since the advent of the F100. However, for peace of mind, I had him replace two of my F100 forks (3 minuted job-I watched). My first F100 with the older Fork design still performs flawlessly. The bigger problem withthe F100 is the plastic locking tabs on the rear door. On important assignments, I carry a spare rear door. It too, is a very easy and quick fix that requires no tools. The F100 is a very good camera.

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiron Kid View Post
    The rewind fork problem is greatly overexagerated. My camera repair tech, has only ...
    I heard that it happens as often as the mythical SLR mirror vibration urban legend spread by the jealous RF folks that just have too much time on their hands so they perpetuate the myth without the benefit of experience. :o
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a 2nd hand F100 with the original rewind fork, no problems with it. Unless you are shooting film at the highest possible speed and changing film canisters like a machine gun, don't worry about the rewind fork for normal use.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by haplo602 View Post
    I have a 2nd hand F100 with the original rewind fork, no problems with it. Unless you are shooting film at the highest possible speed and changing film canisters like a machine gun, don't worry about the rewind fork for normal use.
    My rewind crank sheared off under a normal rewind cycle and other users had the same issue at the time. The original crank is a very flimsy design not befitting a professional grade camera. Does it mean a failure is inevitable? No, but there were enough failures for Nikon to change the design very quickly--an admission that the original part was problematic.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin