Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,710   Posts: 1,482,929   Online: 1015

Thread: Nikon G lenses

Shooter
    Multi Format

Nikon G lenses

Is anyone else annoyed every time Nikon introduces some great new prime lens, they omit the aperture ring? I mean, I can understand this as a cost saving measure for kit lenses, but if you're willing to spend $2,000 on a full frame professional grade lens, does it really make sense to skimp out on an aperture ring? What about the rest of us who might really want to buy Nikon's great 14-24mm, or the new 24mm 1.4, but can't since these lenses are unusable on any Nikon body that doesn't have camera-based aperture control.

This really sucks. My 24mm Nikkor is the standard AF-D 2.8. This is a focal length I use quite often, but frankly I have never been thrilled with this lens. now Nikon finally comes out with the new 24mm 1.4, purported to be a very sharp lens with well controlled distortion, and I can't use it on my F3. I was tempted recently to get a Zeiss ZF 25mm, but in fact this particular lens is nothing to write home about. I want these new Nikkors!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I get your drift, this would bother me too. Whether for D*****L or film, I would feel funny with a lens that didn't have an aperture ring. Maybe they are predicting (self-fulfilling) that future point and shoot methods will eventually not consider the aperture.
    I don't know how the interface works on a D90, for example, but I don't like the idea.
    You should express this to your salesman, if you have one. The only way Nikon will reconsider is if people express disappointment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, been yelling that since they started the whole G lens series. It doesnt help me since I cant put a G lens on a mechanical body, and I think that it just looks funny to have a lens without an aperture ring.

Dont know what they will do for future lenses. I still rely heavily on their D-series lenses and third party glass.
    M. David Farrell, Jr.

----------------------------------------------
    ~Buying a Nikon doesn not make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner!

~Everybody has a photographic memory, but not everybody has film!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have found some of the AF and AF-D lenses are far inferior in image quality to the older AI and AIS lenses. I have recently been adapting my AIS lenses with contacts and chips, not the ideal situation, but it at least allows me to meter with my cameras. The AIS is important, as like newer lenses, the movement of the stop down lever is linear with aperture. If there's a specific f.l. that you like and is not made in an AF model (the lovely 105 2.5 comes to mind), this may be a possible option for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting. I would say for the most part I'm happy with my AF Nikkors, even though I don't normally use an AF body. some of them are really great lenses, particularly the 85 1.8, and the 135 2.0 DC. It's the wide angles that in my opinion were never the greatest, and could really have used upgraded designs. That's why these big new wides like the Nikkor 14-24 monster were such exciting news - until I found out they don't have aperture rings. Recently the prospect of the new 24mm 1.4, although extremely expensive, was even more exciting to me, since that is probably my favourite focal length and for some reason nobody had ever made a really good one before. I don't need that wide an aperture, but aside from that, all the tests I've looked at show this lens to be FAR superior to the 24mm 2.8 AF-D, which has some rather annoying qualities. But alas, no aperture ring on the new 24mm either. Very irritating. I feel like it might be worth it for me to buy a used F5 just so I can use G lenses.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin