Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,978   Online: 807

Shooter
    35mm

Ring Around Nikon FE2 Shutter Speed Dial

At the bottom of the Nikon FE2's shutter speed dial is some type of black ring (perhaps plastic?). When I handle the camera, I can usually hear this ring move around slightly. Is this normal? Also, the ring would seem to have no purpose. Why is it there? What function would it serve?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It doesn't move in my FE2. I would assume that its only function is to raise up the shutter speed dial a little.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It might be there to prevent dust, rain and debris from getting into the camera's deck.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks...

Mine will make a slight movement when I put my finger against the ring or shake the camera. The ring does not appear to move back and forth, but I can hear some type of movement in there. Yours is perfectly solid against the top plate?

I would agree with your thought that it is there to keep out dust. In any case, it does not seem necessary, as my other camera bodies (of different make but similar vintage), have no such part and they do not seem to have a problem with dust or debris. I like being able to pick up a camera, and get that "solid" feel--no shakes, rattles, or movement whatsoever. I have put aside my OM-2N because the Winder II does not mate well to be body. With some pressure, I can move it back and forth...not a solid feel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    mine shifts slightly from side to side as well. I'd say it's mostly cosmetic, I wouldn't worry about it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, Daire...it does seem to have a certain cosmetic aspect. I suppose I will sleep better now :-)

I appreciate that you have checked this on your own FE2. I looked at photos of similar bodies, and it seems the FE2's predecessors, the EL2 and FE, have this same ring. The photo I saw of a chrome FE showed a chrome (or silver) ring. I have a chrome FE2, but the ring is black.
    Last edited by FilmOnly; 05-15-2010 at 11:58 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin