Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,885   Posts: 1,520,580   Online: 1038

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I like the refurbishing camera idea. A place such as KEH.com could offer refurbished camera's for sale. I would be very interested in purchasing a used classic camera that is refurbished to "as new function" and under warranty.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    Yes, there is still second hand, but even now, a lot of the "bargains" that were genuine working cameras at bargain prices on ebay 3 to 5 years ago have simply disappeared. Now we see the left overs, which is a big lottery.

I have an idea, probably a very expensive idea, but wouldn't it be cool if someone could come up with at least a modular Film SLR. The basis would be the basic electronics, shutter assembly (maybe) and the film carriage system, with the mount and other lens specific details being swappable. You want to buy a Minolta MD mount? Just have that module fitted when you order your camera. Maybe it’s a Canon EOS system. Yep, we will grab it off the shelf, install and calibrate and ship it to your door. I think you get the drift.
    This is what I experienced too lately here in Belgium: left overs @ crazy prices and barely any warranty. It's drying up here...

The"Idea" of the modular SLR is brilliant. Let's search some banks to fund this! (no pun intended here!)

rhmimac

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nolanr66 View Post
    I like the refurbishing camera idea. A place such as KEH.com could offer refurbished camera's for sale. I would be very interested in purchasing a used classic camera that is refurbished to "as new function" and under warranty.
    If the retailer did this with ebay etc. to compete with they would have to charge such high prices nobody would buy them, especially if they guarantee the equipment as well there is always the possibility of an addition cost to the company if the equipment goes wrong under warranty, however there's nothing stopping you from buying them and having the refurbished at an independent camera repair facility yourself.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 05-18-2010 at 11:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    I wouldn't be too quick to gnash my teeth over this. In perspective, cameras, photography, art - it's all pretty small time stuff. If film goes away in my lifetime I'll just move completely on to digital. Digital cameras make fine images. If you need an image made of something you can make that image with a digicam. People get WAY too caught up in preserving what they do right now instead of embracing change. Change is the only constant in the universe. Change is coming.

Relax. Enjoy today, but don't cling to today as if it's the only good that will ever brighten your life.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Perhaps the biggest factor in commercial refurbishment of cameras is that, in rhe EU at least, certain solders or similar stuff was banned from use in commercial products (maybe different for "private" use) and manufacturers at the time junked models rather than revamp the pc circut boards etc - Hass x-pan is one that springs to mind - this could mean that replacing circut boards might be very difficult. I don't know.
    As to the mechanical cameras, I think that the practical knowledge is begining to be lost. It may be possible to replicate a worn cog with new materials but how to do this maybe an archane science soon.
    Based partly on the difficulty in finding someone to clean/maintain/repair an old wind-up clock.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Petersson View Post
    Many cameras are thrown away as well, so there might be shortages in a couple of decades. First the electronic ones will fail, like my FE recently did. Eventually your brand new FM10 or F6 will be purchased by a collector. Well, well.
    My Nikon F and F2 never have needed a fix en 50 years. I still shoot with them often

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    ...but even now, a lot of the "bargains" that were genuine working cameras at bargain prices on ebay 3 to 5 years ago have simply disappeared. Now we see the left overs, which is a big lottery.
    From 1975 to 1995 I had only one camera, an Olympus OM-1.

From 1995 to 2005 I had two cameras, added a Minolta P&S.

Now I have 16 film cameras and 4 d's. I feel like a hoarder.

I think it's time to send some back into the wild.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumalite View Post
    My Nikon F and F2 never have needed a fix en 50 years. I still shoot with them often
    I bought an FM2 after the FE broke down. I also have two FED3´s. They won´t break!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had all my cameras professionally serviced in the last twelve months, because I like the cameras I have and don't want to give up a medium I understand for one I don't, it cost a lot less than buying myself a digital SLR , they are all now like new, and at my age they should last me out.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 05-21-2010 at 06:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have obtained several (at least 7) canon rebels of various models.

I am hoarding them because they will eventually break or wear out, and I want to have a few camera bodies in reserve.

In the meantime, at any given point in time I typically keep several of them loaded with different types of film, something that can be quite handy.

Also, since the bodies are so light it is convenient to have the same type of film loaded in each of several camera bodies, with a different lens on each body. In some ways carrying around two or three units like this can sometimes be more convenient than changing lenses on a single body.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin