Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,747   Posts: 1,515,667   Online: 792

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alan,
    I think the same way, I also load different film and use them; my F601(2x), F65, F100 and F4S, 2nd hand, they didn't cost as much as a cheap new *i*i*a* SLR all together so I also have some "spares" around; 30 or 40€ for a F65 or F601body doesn't brake the bank... :-)

rhmimac

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    I wouldn't be too quick to gnash my teeth over this. In perspective, cameras, photography, art - it's all pretty small time stuff. If film goes away in my lifetime I'll just move completely on to digital. Digital cameras make fine images. If you need an image made of something you can make that image with a digicam. People get WAY too caught up in preserving what they do right now instead of embracing change. Change is the only constant in the universe. Change is coming.

Relax. Enjoy today, but don't cling to today as if it's the only good that will ever brighten your life.
    Change is not the only Constant in Life; Taxes and Death too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm happy with old used stuff myself.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Still haven't found the answer to the question: why do we need new SLRs when the fundamental design of 35mm film as a tiny canister with celluloid in it has remained unchanged for eons? Leaving the current nauseating crap of digital far aside (that place is a sickness all of its own), as I see it, all a camera is is a light-tight box to hold the film and do a host of auto or semi-automatic observations that really should be done by the photographer wising up to his craft. In a nutshell, I couldn't give a two hoots if another new camera is never released with a huge glut of beauties just waiting to be snapped up. I'm very happy with my 1994 vintage workhorses and picking up occasional gems from years ago.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    While I too am happy with all my old Contax and Yashica cameras - I bought dozens of dodgy RTS/RTSII/139/137md/137MA bodies to ensure a copious supply of spares for my better bodies - I was so pleased to buy a brand new camera with a C/Y mount here in the UK, marketed under the Braun brand. It's nice to see a very basic, mechanical SLR still being made and I have got some odd looks when shooting with my little Braun (it's basically the FX-3 Super) attached to a Zeiss 55 1.2 Planar. Why a new camera when I've got all those old ones? Well, no worries about light seals, ageing shutters and general wear and tear - and, OK, it's a boy's toy thing too. I can't resist any new body on which I can use my old lenses. I've even used the Braun zoom on my DSLR and got some surprisingly good images from it.

So, in summary, it's great to recycle the old cameras but it's always fun to have a shiny new toy with which to play.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like new toys too, but I like them to be analog.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now that I possess and am very happy with two 35mm systems that could possibly outlive me even after I use them for the next 40 years (F3HP & M7), I hope not to be too concerned about this.

Perhaps 30 years from now I will upgrade to a mint FM3A or F6.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Perhaps a bigger more scary thing is the issue of batteries; unless your camera is operational without one. Weird proprietary types, strange sizes, shapes. Film may well be here in 100 years but if there is no battery to power your camera, what then? Many models can be fitted with grips that hold AA batteries. This would be a good thing for the very long run. Going forward I no longer buy models that do not provide a AA battery solution, and for this reason.
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    127 Format
    What does the future hold for used digicams? I'm sure there are recent models that are useless now due to the unavailability of those precious batteries (or worse, memory chips). I know I have one or two. Doesn't matter to me as long as I can use my manual film cameras.

My only problem is film availability but I think there will always be SOMEthing available, even if it's limited to one or two.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
    Perhaps a bigger more scary thing is the issue of batteries; unless your camera is operational without one. Weird proprietary types, strange sizes, shapes. Film may well be here in 100 years but if there is no battery to power your camera, what then? Many models can be fitted with grips that hold AA batteries. This would be a good thing for the very long run. Going forward I no longer buy models that do not provide a AA battery solution, and for this reason.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Rahman View Post
    Now that I possess and am very happy with two 35mm systems that could possibly outlive me even after I use them for the next 40 years (F3HP & M7), I hope not to be too concerned about this.

Perhaps 30 years from now I will upgrade to a mint FM3A or F6.
    This is it is for me. I don't need a new 35mm camera, all my old stuff should see me out. F3HP, F2, M2, M4-P. How many years am I going to be viable, let alone my cameras?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin