Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,730   Posts: 1,515,254   Online: 838

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    For a camera company to make a "new" camera they have to truly have something new to offer. Can anyone tell me what new feature they would want on a new 135 SLR? If I had to guess what was going to happen next here is what I would say. First those disposable cameras are going to get better than they are now, not by a lot, but expect to see them have a few nifty features that are more than just gimmicks figure indoor, outdoor, and flash settings. Better entry level point and shoot plus type cameras with zoom, flash, focus, the ability to add filters, and several program options like a pocket digital point and shoot. As for a "new" SLR my guess wouldn't be something at the pro level, but somewhere in the middle. My reason for believing this is that the problem with film right now is that younger people are not taking it up because their choices are disposable cameras, "toy" cameras, or high end pro cameras and not a lot in between if they want to buy new. Used is another story, there is a lot of really good used stuff out there, but there is a lot of junk on the market as well, why risk it. Thats my blurry vision on it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rhmimac View Post
    Would you dare to compare these qualitywise to the last low to midpriced Nikon/Canon 135 SLR's which came out in the early 2000's?

rhmimac
    I think it compares pretty well, metal top plate and mount, I think its probably better build wise than the FM10.
    I have a blog post here...

http://photo-utopia.blogspot.com/200...enix-dn60.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Reading a 1950 BJP Almanac summary of the Photo trade in the UK, written by a retailer who also wrote books on 35mm photography, there's nothing new today except it's now Global.

Back then the post WWII austerity measures in the UK put heavy restrictions on the import of new Cameras, so like now people where buying 10-15 year old second hand models. There's a comment about poor quality copies/imitations of pre-WWII German cameras and few good new products.

Although the reasons and circumstances where entirely different the end result were similar - few new cameras available.

The current problem of new sales in the 35mm market was predicted in the BJP well over a decade ago and even a big upturn in 35mm film sales would take time to impact on new camera demand as there's still a glut of high quality second-hand cameras available.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are Nikon/Canon full of fear to be labelled "old fashioned" when they would introduce a new (chinese made) F20,F30,F40,F50 SLR line?

And therefor are reluctant to serve the now niche 135 film user market?

Would it hurt their "high tech image" they are holding up at all stakes?

rhmimac

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

no new 135 SLR cameras, ever?

Quote Originally Posted by rhmimac
    Are Nikon/Canon full of fear to be labelled "old fashioned" when they would introduce a new (chinese made) F20,F30,F40,F50 SLR line?

And therefor are reluctant to serve the now niche 135 film user market?

Would it hurt their "high tech image" they are holding up at all stakes?

rhmimac
    Or a better question: who would want to buy it? What makes classic Nikons and Canons so great is that they are reliable machines and not cheap Chinese crap. I think that's a better reason for not embracing that avenue.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Or a better question: who would want to buy it? What makes classic Nikons and Canons so great is that they are reliable machines and not cheap Chinese crap. I think that's a better reason for not embracing that avenue.
    You're right, I agree completely on the "classics" being build like tanks, but when I consider my 1992 F601 also "classic" (it has AF, yes), am I not allowed to call the plastic F65 "made in malaysia" also a classic anymore?
    I wonder were the "classic" line is drawn nowadays.

I would embrace any new made midpriced film SLR from them now, made in China, like all cameras now, except for the high end pro stuff and Leica of course.

rhmimac

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'd rather be condemned to buying old cameras than new Chinese stuff. I'm kinda tired of junk being shoved down my throat. Give me quality or keep the junk.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

no new 135 SLR cameras, ever?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCrabtree
    I'd rather be condemned to buying old cameras than new Chinese stuff. I'm kinda tired of junk being shoved down my throat. Give me quality or keep the junk.
    Yep, tired of disposable landfill filling junk myself too. I'd rather not embrace low quality attempts or contribute to even more plastic timebombs.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Recently I got 4 Contaflexes, 1 Icarex CBS, several Voightlanders, including a Bessamatic. My 'classics': Nikon F, Nikon F2, Nikon F3HP, Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax MX, Olympus Stylus Epic, Rollei 35, Contax TVS II, Minolta XD-11, etc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I really enjoy the great autofocus and exposure systems on my N80 and N75 so a N85 or N80s would be nice. I think a nice new midrange film camera would be nice. We have high end F6 and low end FM10 but nothing for the midrange market.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin