Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,920   Posts: 1,556,524   Online: 1372

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

no new 135 SLR cameras, ever?

After listening to an interview with PE on
    http://www.insideanalogphoto.com/
    it's clear to me film is not dead at all, but maybe put in a niche market.
    And because a niche market is only to survive by having new cameras introduced, the following question appeared to me:
    what do you think will be the chance a big camera brand will ever put a 135 film SLR back on the market?

rhmimac

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nikon still sell the FM10, and the F6 may be still be available new. I'll make a prediction here that a new medium format SLR system will be available within the next 5 years.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Canon still make the EOS 1V, Nikon Still Make The F6.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Vivitar released one around a year ago (OK, I agree that Vivitar isn't one of the big makers, that their reputation has gone down a long way since their Series 1 days & have to say that the last Vivitar lens that I had, a 500mm mirror, was awful beyond belief)

Here is a link to a review: http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/05/18...nual-film-slr/

Not cutting edge, but it certainly looks to give the FM10 a run for its money. They must think that there is a market for new 35mm SLR's to bring it out, so maybe one of the big makers will think so again one day?
    David.

NAS sufferer with far too much Nikon kit.

Shooter
    35mm
    Perhaps not Nikon or Canon, Cosina more likely but look to China for a range of low cost 35mm SLRs and as China catches the manual focus 35mm / RF bug I suspect higher quality SLRs or RF cameras will follow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rhmimac View Post
    what do you think will be the chance a big camera brand will ever put a 135 film SLR back on the market?
    The question is not will "a big camera brand will ever put a 135 film SLR back on the market?" because some are selling new 35mm cameras.

Rather the question should be will and when will "a big camera brand will ever put a new or redesigned 135 film SLR on the market?"

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As time goes on, I think that we should be far more concerned about being able to find people who really know how repair the old ones than whether or not there will be any new ones.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We got a new 120 format 'folder.' I would not have predicted that. I suspect it will depend on the prospect of hoards of Asian kids and students embracing the 35mm SLR and a Japanese or Chinese company catering to that.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    As long as there are photographers around that know how to use cameras that are over twenty five years of age, the niche will continue to thrive. Those cameras will be around for a long time to come.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I hesitate to say "never," but I think "for the time being" is likely.

I didn't think that I'd ever see vinyl back in production, but there they were: New pressings of 12-inch 33 1/3 rpm albums for sale at Barnes & Noble.

Regardless, it's all about profit. If the camera makers don't see a profit, then they won't make it. If you make a product that no one buys, you don't say in business.

It's the downside and the reality of digital. And if you ask the average digital user, they'll say that they don't miss film.

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin