Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,660   Posts: 1,481,534   Online: 1093

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Canon EOS portrait lens

Hi there

As a happy portrait photographer I'm looking for a prime lens in the 85-135 mm range which has a aperture around 2.8, can anyone give me their opinion on which lens would be a good investment.
    I am interested in both original Canon lenses and lenses from other brands.
    I need it to fit on a Canon EOS bayonet.

Greetings Morten

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We use the Canon non-L EF 1.8 85mm and it's the most splendid lens I've ever put on a 35mm camera. Often, if I've got the camera and am going shooting for the day and only want to take one lens, I'll take the 85.

Now, I assume you're putting this on a film body. Back when I did digital capture, I found the 85mm combined with the 1.6 field of view crop factor was a bit too long for many portraits, especially studio ones. In that case, I used our other favorite, a Canon EF 28-135 IS. I would have preferred to have something like a 65mm 1.8, but we didn't have one.

I just checked on eBay and someone's got a new one for 359 that looks like it might be a good deal:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...824750245&rd=1

-KwM-

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ditto. I never take the 85mm 1.8 off my Canon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Jacobs
    Ditto. I never take the 85mm 1.8 off my Canon.
    Ok. I've heard so much good about this rather cheap lens that I'm convinced.
    The many hours of over-time at work will have to pay for this :-)

Thanks!

Morten

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Or just shoot Contax

Buy an adapter from Stephen Gandy at CameraQuest and use the Zeiss 85mm f/1.4.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Morten,

I am on my second EF85 1.8 now - sold the first one and regretted it sorely afterwards. Bought a new one from technikdirekt.de. This is indeed a brilliant portrait lens, and it's small size means that it is not too intimidating to your sitters, as opposed to for instance the EF70-200 2.8 or 4.0.

technikdirekt.de delivers within one week's time in Denmark, and have fairly low prices (€359 for the EF85 + €20 shipping).

Best regards
    Søren Kvistgaard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kvistgaard
    technikdirekt.de delivers within one week's time in Denmark, and have fairly low prices (€359 for the EF85 + €20 shipping).
    Nice! I will look at buying the lens this autumn (when I have gotten some money again after blowing it all off on vacation).

Og du skal også lige have en velkomst til APUG! Vi er ved at være en lille gruppe danskere her.

Morten

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They will have to prise my Canon 85mm 1.8 from my cold dead hands!, It's the way it renders the human features, the pleasing natural perspective it produces is great. If you are into portraits you won't regret buying one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suspected that this would happen - one more vote for that lens here! I don't own one (dont use an EF system) but did stay at a Holiday Inn...
    Just kidding - I don't own EF gear, but a good friend of mine has one the non - L 1.8 ultrasonic 85mm and oh my goodness - what a lens!!! Just a joy to use, be it manual or AF (SOOOOOOOOO Quiet!!!), fast, sharp, lovely colour rendition... Usually I find nothing interesting about his EF gear, he has a fascination with ultra wide range third party zooms taht I have yet to understand... but after he showed me this jewel, and the reuslts - WOW!
    Oh, and one more thing - none of the usual new lens plasticky fragile feel. Yes, its made out of some type of plastic - but it feel absolutely solid and well made.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh, I neglected to say my 85mm 1.8 lens is an FD, not an EF, I don't like auto focus, but I think my remarks still apply.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin