Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,896   Posts: 1,520,985   Online: 915

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Excited! XE-1 coming my way (hopefully)!

howdy,

I have just been offered an Minolta XE-1 from an acquaintance (it was his fathers camera, his pride and joy before he passed away.). The camera has only been used once or twice in the last 10 or so years, but is apparently a goer (put it this way, its still worth it as the price is right…). The guy did mention, though, that when used automatically, his father did have issues with it and spent quite a bit of time calibrating it.

Can anyone advise whether there are inherent issues with this camera? Apparently it can still be used fully manually, but my understanding that this would only be at one shutter speed. Is this correct?

Also (and finally), does anyone know what batteries it took? Will I need to find a non-mercury replacement.

Any advice or comments on this camera would be appreciated (& sorry for the questions. I am currently at work, where I have very restricted internet access. I'm still surprised I can look at this place!)

Cheers

Shooter
    35mm
    The XE-1 didn't use mercury batteries so there is no problem there. Correct
    batteries are still easily available.

Links to the owners manual can be found here:
    http://www.butkus.org/chinon/minolta...nolta_ex-1.htm

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Duracell D375B's or equivalent. Get it and crank a roll through it then we'll discuss issues.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    Duracell D375B's or equivalent.
    I believe that's a typo for D357B, which is the L1154, LR44, AG13, A76, 76A, GPA76, V13GA, G13A, LR1154, RW82, BLR44, L1154F, L1154H, FM28F, LR44W, CX44, MS76, 357A, KA76, PX76A, 675A, 675PK, PX76, GP76A, or one of many variants of the same, very common 1.5V button cell, still designed into many current electronics. Should be around for a very long time.

The camera takes two of these batteries, which can also be bought in a single jacket as a double height battery like the CR1/3N and equivalents.

XE-1 is a very nice camera.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks Guys.

I know that it comes with a Rokker 55mm lens (not sure which one) and a whole bunch of other gear. I just hope it all works (I was disappointed when I bought my first Minolta MF camera last year, it was a SRT303, but was DOA. I still have intentions to get it fixed).

Cheers

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin