Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,225   Posts: 1,532,670   Online: 805

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon F70 Focusing screen

Hi everyone, just a quickie.
    I mostly shoot on a Nikon 601m as it has most of the features I want and being the manual version it has a split image/micro prism focusing screen. After using it for a while though I would like to start using spot metering and this model dose not have it. That and other little feature that I like have led me to the Nikon F70 (im on a budget by the way). Quieter motor, spot metering and bits like that. My only gripe is that the focusing screen seems to be free from any aids other than seeing when the image becomes clear. Sometimes this can be a pain if your using a red filter. Is there any way to replace the screen or have it modded to use micro prism and maybe split image (not sure if you can have split image with spot metering?)

Cheers
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    not sure if this should be in here or in Camera Building, Repairs & Modification. Feel free to move it moderators

Shooter
    35mm
    I guess its not possible or its top secret. Maybe I have to share more of my own secrets

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not possible.

The F801s/N8008s is really inexpensive, too, however, and you can get an aftermarket screen from Beattie that will give you manual focusing aids.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Jim The 801 looks quite nice as well. Arrrr decisions decisions

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The F90/N90 and F90x/N90s are worth a look too. They're of the era of the F&0 but with more professional features. They also have interchangeable focusing screens.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    ok so i got my hands on an F70 for £10, cant go wrong. Still wanna change the screen though and iv been reading lots of bits about people doing so, even with "fixed screen" models. Some need a little sanding to fit, some dont, some need ev adjustment, some dont. The F70 has a Nikon advanced B-type BriteView screen II and I wanna put a K screen in it. Dose anyone know if this will result in the need for ev adjustment or will they meter the same? There is the option to meter check, change screens and meter check again but I thought I would ask first.
    Oh and Jim can you explain to the Mrs why im now eyeing up an F90x on Ebay

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin