Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,768   Posts: 1,484,202   Online: 861

Thread: Canon 1 N

Shooter
    Medium Format

Canon 1 N

Today I was fooling around with my Canon 1 N and I realized... where is my shutter release cable suppose to connect?

I bought this camera used so I do not have a manual. Is there anyone who knows if this camera has the ability to use a shutter release? Its a fairly new camera and if my canon AE-1 has the ability to use it then why wouldn't a new one be able to?

If anyone knows please help me out!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your AE-1 is an entirely different beast to the brute that is the 1N!
    The 1N does not use a screw-in shutter release cable like the AE-1 — that is, not directly into the shutter button. The 1N has a different approach (an electronic one). On the right hand side below the palm door is a socket (usually covered with a cap). If a cap is on their, unscrew it. Canon's Remote Switch 60T3 plugs into here. It can be bought around $60.00 or used ones can be had for around half that.

Now the other trick. If you have a traditional shutter release cable (like the one you might have for the AE-1), Canon has a Cable Release Adaptor T3. On one end is the male plug that matches the socket on the camera side. On the other end is an open socket into which a traditional (plunger-type) cable release screws. There is just one small problem: this gizmo is quite hard to find now so a scout around a Canon dealer or pro-second hand dealer might turn up something.

Download the instruction manual (from mir.com.my/ eos site Malaysia) here.
    (This is a 3.3Mb file covering the EOS 1N and EOS 1N RS, the high drive speed pellicle-mirror version).

On the same site (you'll have a ball coming to grips... sorry for the pun ... with the 1N here!), look up Custom Functions. In the absence of a cable release you can have the camera start with a 2 second or 10 second delay, which allows you to press the shutter then get your paws away, the camera to steady and then fire. But make sure you read the Custom functions and how to Clear/reset the camera; sometimes there may be combinations of settings that could confuse a new user and lead them to think something is wrong, but actually it is more often than not only the camera behaving as per a custom function. Enjoy.
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 05-22-2010 at 02:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looking at the camera as if you are going to shoot, the electronic cable release socket is on the RHS at the bottom of the grip.
    Usually has a knurled cover.
    If you want a pdf of the manual send me a PM with your email address.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Oh wow, I didnt realize that the tiny cover came off of it. I realize that it uses and electronic shutter release.... I do have a rebel xsi (not by choice =/) But thank you everyone! I just need to scrape up some money and buy one!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you want to use a standard cable release you can by an adapter where one end screws into the electronic release socket of the 1n and then you can screw in a standard cable release in the other end.
    They should be available quite cheaply on ebay. I had the standard electronic cable release I it's not half as much fun to use (for me at least) as a standard cable release.
    Regards
    Mads

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I didn't realize there was an adapter. I'm going to have to look for that. I've never cared much for the old electronic release.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

Seahawks won Superbowl XLVIII.
    Next year's Superbowl is XLIX. Easier to pronounce than XLVIII. Sounds like XLAX.
    I hope that doesn't mean we won't be able to stop the run...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin