Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,225   Posts: 1,532,662   Online: 848

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Should I have bid up for this?

I was watching this auction

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

and GAS was making it very tempting. I love my Om1n and OM2, but the thought of a "new" OM2n was giving me an itchy bidding finger. I stopped at £150.00, because the thought that this had been sitting for 20+ years unused got me thinking it might be glued up/foam rot/battery rot. Description was pretty crummy. I didn't really need the case, 50mm and flash - already have these.

Not sure whether I'm kicking myself for not bidding higher, or whether getting out was the best move. These don't come up so often like this, so what do others think?

Shooter
    35mm
    New equipment and machinery of most kinds can deteriorate if left unused for many years, even in original packing. This is why there are recognised methods for "moth-balling" plant, equipment and scientific instruments which will not be used for some time.

The sellers description was very brief and uniformative, and, had I been seriously interested in bidding, I would have asked quite a lot of questions, or, ideally, tried to inspect the item is it were within a accessable distance.

I've had some good bargains from Ebay, but common sense is needed, especially if you're spending a lot of money. And also, of course, it's best to set yourself a firm limit at the start of what the item is worth to you.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    There are enough floating around in 'nearly new' condition for a lot less.. I would have passed unless the accessories were of enough value to you to compensate.

I saw an almost-new OM2n with 50mm 1.8 go for $75 a few weeks ago. After using my coworkers (and comparing it to the Nikon FG as a lower profile aperture priority SLR) its almost painful to see them go for that value. If I didn't have so much of an investment in Nikon (F4s, etc) I'd consider jumping.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I know there are a lot of good ones around for a lot less - including my own OMs. It was just the though of a "brand new" never been used OM2n that sounded tempting. I guess my question is really, do people think that a camera that was brand new 20 years ago and subsequently untouched can honestly be described as new? To an unknowledgeable punter there is nothing in the description to say it is 20+ years old! I think I made the right decision - it was just a bit of GAS, and my good and CLAd shooters are probably more reliable than one that has just been sitting around.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    1. just because it is in a box does not mean it is actually brand new. Even if it was never purchased, it still could have been taken out of the package and used as a store demo, etc.

2. leather, rubber, glue, and oil will deteriorate with age whether or not it has been used. You are much better off getting an excellent/mint body and having it CLA'd. Check out http://www.zuiko.com/
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    1. just because it is in a box does not mean it is actually brand new. Even if it was never purchased, it still could have been taken out of the package and used as a store demo, etc.

2. leather, rubber, glue, and oil will deteriorate with age whether or not it has been used. You are much better off getting an excellent/mint body and having it CLA'd. Check out http://www.zuiko.com/
    I used to sell these new in my shop Darin, and if they are new they are vacuum sealed in a plastic bag.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    seems like a lot to me - I would rather see one that has light but regular use, that way you know it's working. Foam will deteriorate over time whether used or not. I have an OM-1n that has rarely been out of its box in the 15 years that i've owned it, and the foam in that is rather sticky so it would need a service really just to get it working again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it hit, then surpassed the price you were willing to pay, then no, you shouldn't have increased your bid.

Shooter
    35mm
    [QUOTE=mr rusty;1003364]. I guess my question is really, do people think that a camera that was brand new 20 years ago and subsequently untouched can honestly be described as new?

NO is the short answer. Sellers use this word with paper as well when what they mean is that it has never been opened so it meets the definition of new as in "never been touched and looks the same as the day it was bought" which of course might have been 15 years ago! To be fair some sellers don't understand that even unopened things deteriorate

When spending the amount you quoted you need to be like a dog with a bone in terms of questions asked.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone, I think that's GAS resisted for once!!

I have a very nice OM1n and OM2. Why could I possibly want another one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin