Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,504   Posts: 1,543,464   Online: 952

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have had the 35m, 28, and 20mm. The 35mm was useless. It was too close to the 50mm lens. The 28mm is used very often, especially in Europe. The 20mm rounds out the wide angle and gets a fair amount of use. I have not tried anything below 20mm, which for me is too close to being a fisheye.

As far as fish-eye lenses, they would not be used enough for me to purchase. Besides, I do not like taking photographs with my feet in the photo!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like 35mm f2 and 24mm f2
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Difference between 35 and 50 is not big enough IMO.
    50 is my favorite, on any system.
    For my Nikons I use 24mm additionally.
    I must admit that I think it is often hard to use.
    For me 28mm is the widest, though still relatively "normal", which I can use all the time for anything, just like your maximum zoomrange. Wider than that you enter into a different trade. You may or may not want that.
    Also on a Leica, it is the widest lens I can use without an additional viewfinder, and that is a relevant factor for me.

So 28 it is for me, besides 50mm.
    Last edited by AmsterdamMartin; 05-29-2010 at 09:49 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does anyone want to sell those "rarely used now" lens?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could get my Nikkor 24 AF-D, although it is from Nikon Europe and be sure customs will get a hold on it.
    Combined with shipping you might just as well go to your local store, lol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been looking for the right lens for 30 years. Last year the right lens for me was a 21mm super wide, then I started shooting 35mm wide thought...yup this is it. But that did not last, I started shooting 40mm/50mm/57mm (Konica normals) and loved the bokeh of the 50mm/57mm lenses. Now I discovered a 90mm Macro lens - real wonderful Bokeh.

My advice would be to start with the basics a 50mm. Shoot it until you feel that mastered it. Then move up to 85/90/100/135 for portraits or down 35/28/24/20 for environmental.

Shooter
    35mm
    28mm on the SLR and the fabulous 35mm on my Minox.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My taste for photography is constantly evolving. I'm sure this won't end my GAS but that's part of photography I enjoy. (there! I said it. I have GAS and I enjoy it!!)

I just started a WTB thread in classified section to keep it in compliance with forum rules.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Large Format
    i would also consider 0 element air lens , servicing/replacement in 30 min guaranteed, great depth of field and free as long as you enjoy e beer or 2.

i even own three of them

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanline View Post
    I've been looking for the right lens for 30 years. Last year the right lens for me was a 21mm super wide, then I started shooting 35mm wide thought...yup this is it. But that did not last, I started shooting 40mm/50mm/57mm (Konica normals) and loved the bokeh of the 50mm/57mm lenses. Now I discovered a 90mm Macro lens - real wonderful Bokeh.

My advice would be to start with the basics a 50mm. Shoot it until you feel that mastered it. Then move up to 85/90/100/135 for portraits or down 35/28/24/20 for environmental.
    I agree, this is very sound advice, for my street shooting I use a 35mm f2 ,and 20mm f2.8, if I could only carry one it would be the 35mm.
    Ben

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin