Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,771   Posts: 1,484,284   Online: 1150

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

eos A2e mode changing problem

I recently acquired a a2e body (recently as in this morning) and it has the odd problem of not changing modes, well it does but you have to put your whole thumb on the top and turn. As you may suspect this is a pain. My temporary fix is to duck tape the outer mode ring to the inner circular part so they move in sync, altho, this is not optimal when you turn the outer ring only you can hear the spring being weird.

Well any suggestions?

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscc123 View Post
    I recently acquired a a2e body (recently as in this morning) and it has the odd problem of not changing modes
    This sounds like the infamous Command Dial problem of the A2/EOS5, which can happen if the user forgets to press the release button when moving the Command Dial away from the lock position, resulting in some shearing inside. I've not encountered it on my EOS 5, though I'm very careful about it and have a small sticker on my camera to remind me to take care when changing modes across the 'lock' position, though in truth I generally only use Av or M.

A net search for 'Canon A2 (or EOS 5) command dial problem' will bring up lots of instances describing it. Some have fixed it themselves, though I don't think my tinkering skills are up to the job.
    Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Broken or disengaged pawl.
    The Command Dial is the true Achilles Heel of the EOS 5/A2/A2e. It is a flimsy piece of engineering. My EOS 5 has had this dial replaced twice. The culprit is in the small plastic notches under the dial and what happens if the dial is even moderately forced, the pawl ring scrapes over the notches (or conversely, locks into one) and the dial becomes a freewheel, or is difficult to move at all.

A repair job is required to replace the entire dial face and pawl assembly. It's quick and simple. The other weak link with this particular model is the lens release button — also prone to sudden failure.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Broken or disengaged pawl.
    The Command Dial is the true Achilles Heel of the EOS 5/A2/A2e... A repair job is required to replace the entire dial face and pawl assembly. It's quick and simple.
    If so, how much does it usually cost to fix it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Difficult to make comparisons in different countries (this is Australia). Was AUD$95.00 for me on both occasions, 7-day "Priority" turn around. Breakage occurred in August 2002 and November 2005.

Replacement of the lens release button is very straight forward, but that set me back $80.00 and again the camera was out of service for 7 days.

Both items are usually checked as routine when camera comes in for any other service as they are acknowledged weak points on an otherwise quite well fancied camera.

Neither the dial or the lens release button is a DIY repair task.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    35mm
    i think ill just stick with it being broken, i got the body for only $50, so i think its a bargain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is whithout a doubt a bargain, i use an a2 with a battery grip, and a nice set of L-series lenses. I only use the M mode, and i havent had any of these problems, though i am careful about pushing the button down. You'll love this body, its my favorite 35mm body.

Shooter
    35mm
    well, i ended up picking up a 2nd a2e body for about 10 bucks more, im just waiting for shipping, i also must thank the apug community, so far it has been one of my life lines.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I found a A2E this weekend at a Pawn Shop. The command dial would not lock between settings - trusted my gut feeling and walked away from this camera. Google showed this is a common fault that WILL GET WORSE over time. Very nice camera - if bought at the right price.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanline View Post
    I found a A2E this weekend at a Pawn Shop. The command dial would not lock between settings - trusted my gut feeling and walked away from this camera. Google showed this is a common fault that WILL GET WORSE over time. Very nice camera - if bought at the right price.
    Keep twisting the outer dial clockwise, it sometime tightens up, and it sticks more. That will only work if outer dial is free turning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin