Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,981   Posts: 1,523,820   Online: 1170

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you all for the feedback thus far. Some variety of the GR1 is starting to appeal to me. Is the shutter quiet compared to the XA4? About the same?

Here's what's driving this line of questioning... For stealthy street shooting, I want a 35mm compact with a wide prime, and a fast but quiet shutter. (I think 1/500 is the fastest that the XA4 is capable of.) Zone focusing is what works best for me. Need lots of DOF. As such, I'll probably need to shoot high speed film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The GR1 has a quiet shutter, it is the focusing mechanism and winder that makes the noise. A kind of electrical buzzing. Though it really isn't as loud as you think and works fine for candid public shots.

Shooter
    35mm
    In my XA4 I always use Tri-X and leave the meter on 1600. I develop it in Diafine. At this EI, dof is not a problem. I rarely use any focus position except the default 10'.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    For stealthy street shooting, I want a 35mm compact with a wide prime, and a fast but quiet shutter. (I think 1/500 is the fastest that the XA4 is capable of.) Zone focusing is what works best for me. Need lots of DOF. As such, I'll probably need to shoot high speed film.
    With the GR you can set a 'snap' mode which fixes the focus at 7 feet, if you then set the aperture priority to f16, your focus range will be 2.8 feet to infinity. The snap mode also eliminates shutter lag.

I've never shot the XA4, but I have shot an XA. I think the shutter is quieter than the GR, but the big difference is that winding on with the XA is a series of clicks as you wind the wheel, with the GR it's an electronic motor whirring. It's not really noisy like a motor winder on some SLRs, but I can hear it unless there's lots of street noise.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You can also prefocus and lock the lens to any distance. For street I would lock it at ~4 feet

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    In my XA4 I always use Tri-X and leave the meter on 1600. I develop it in Diafine. At this EI, dof is not a problem. I rarely use any focus position except the default 10'.
    This is good to hear. What kind of shutter speed do you suspect you're getting? Do you ever have a problem with motion blur? I'm often in motion when I'm shooting which is why I ask...

Shooter
    35mm
    I suspect during the daytime it's always maxed out at 1/500, since minimum aperture on these things is f/14 I believe. I regularly take pictures one-handed, from the hip, and without looking through the viewfinder.
    f/22 and be there.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Okay, I'm intrigued. Samples? Do you have a Flickr account?

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks again, everyone. I'm reading now that the GR1 only accomplishes its fastest shutter speed when stopped all the way down. Is this true of the XA4? Or, for that matter, of most compacts?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin